London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
16 messages
18/05/2013 at 09:16

i have just joined this site,i am wild about any thing to do with gardening,nature and wildlife,my garden is planted with any thing to attract,bees,butterflies,and birds,yrs ago if i found greenfly i would be annoyed,but now when i see them i think oooh lovely food for the birds and ladybirds etc but as a read on here there is a lot less aphids than there used to be,personally i think it is too much interference with nature,even the GM groing could be having a knockon affect.last yr i had a lot of lady birds on my californian lilac this yr none,i have only seen one 2 spot lady bird so far this yr, but butterflies were back a week ago so i put my butterfly feeder out and have not seen any since,last yr i hardly saw an butterflies,my buddlia is usually full of them but not las yr.

18/05/2013 at 09:21

gail - what a great attitude - welcoming greenfly as food.

I find weeding is a whole lot easier if i think of it as harvesting material for my compost heap - the more the better !

18/05/2013 at 09:55

me too and a tip for any one if you find grass coming up between paving slabs etc get it up with a knife and plant in any bare patches in the lawn ,it soon fill them up xx

18/05/2013 at 13:13

Hiya Gail.  Welcome.  Hope ??ou have a great summer in your garden

18/05/2013 at 14:39

hello Verdun nice to meet you xx

18/05/2013 at 19:36

Hi Gail welcome to the site. I have left the greenfly to the wildlife and have found this works perfectly too, the blue tits do a brilliant job. If you have any questions about plants etc there are some very knowledgeable people on this site to help you out. I have called on their services many times. Hope you have a great time in your garden

18/05/2013 at 19:44

Hi Gail,welcome to the site.enjoy your garden.

18/05/2013 at 20:07

Hi Gail, I've also just joined this site today and what a help its been already! I'm a novice gardener, having not had a garden at all for the best part of the last 20 years (how have I survived??!!). I moved home 6 months ago and the garden here is random to say the least and hasn't been too well tended for the last couple of years at least so its quite a challenge. I'm still at the identifying everything stage so I know what to off, what to keep or resite etc but I'm also keen to keep it as wildlife friendly as possible. We have squirrels, badgers, foxes, rabbits and a menagerie of birds every day so its going to be fun trying to find the balance between man and animal! 

18/05/2013 at 21:01

Welcome heather.  Everyone is very friendly here so hope you enjoy it

18/05/2013 at 21:20

Hello Heather and welcome.

It sounds as if you have an exciting time ahead,developing a  garden is a wonderful opportunity.

18/05/2013 at 21:31

Thank you Verdun and Gilly. I'm sure I'm going to love this site and I'm sure I'll get some really valuable help and advice - I'm going to need it!  Nice to meet you both 

18/05/2013 at 21:38

Welcome

18/05/2013 at 21:41

Welcome girls you have joined a great site since i have joined members have been great giving advice and any other help enjoy.

18/05/2013 at 22:37

Hello Gail and Heather, I'm sure you will enjoy the site. lots of good advice and help to be had.

19/05/2013 at 06:59

Hello to Wintersong, Andy19 and Pennine Petal 

19/05/2013 at 07:42

Welcome Gail and Heather   

We moved into a long-neglected garden 18 months ago and are still making lovely discoveries - it's great - and although we're on the edge of a city we have lots of wildlife too.  

email image
16 messages