4 messages
29/04/2012 at 22:49

Our 4m x 2m (1.5m deep) wild-life pond has had a small leak for a few years now, so is always 10-12cm below full. We never managed to find where the leak was so learned to live with it, but recently the level has dropped to about 30cm from full -despite all the rain -I think this must be due to the local heron who has been visiting lately!  How do we find the leak ?  How do we repair the butyl liner? And how do we do all this without disturbing the wildlife (tadpoles, minnows, great diving beetles, dragonfly larvae, etc., etc.).  The pond was installed by a professional but he has since retired and his business no longer exists.

29/04/2012 at 23:00

To find a leak in a liner, let the water find its leaking level. Then examine the water line on the liner, if you still cannot locate the hole, drain a few more inches of water and it should be more obvious to the eye.

They are plenty of products on the market for such repairs...

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/pond-supplies/pond-equipment/pond-liner/all-products.html

Scroll down the page for the repair kits - I have never ordered from this site.

30/04/2012 at 06:04

The answer depends in part on the maturity of the pond.

If it's a mature pond, the chances are that there will be established plants all around the perimeter (in the water). Plants such as water iris form dense mats. In such circumstances it is quite impossible to see the liner.

If the pond is 1.5m in depth, and you've lost 30cm, then there is still well over a metre of water in the pond. I guess that the creatures are all perfectly happy with that.

Encouraging wildlife into your garden is partly about having a relaxed attitude, and letting nature take its course. It's not about fretting and thinking that things must be 'put right'.

If you can see the liner, and can fix the leak, then do so. But personally, I'd be inclined to live with it.

18/05/2012 at 08:57

Hi,

Thanks for the link.  We have not had chance to look for the leak yet, due to an unexpected trip into hospital. (I'm fine now.) I also seriously underestimated the size of the pond - it's actually 15m x 4m - and as we have lots of plants around the edge we've decided to tackle it a section at a time.

email image
4 messages