London (change)
5 messages
21/08/2013 at 20:06

I had a bunch of flowers with a Lily in.  Scent was so powerful, I decided to put it in a single vase outside.

Went out shortly afterwards and it had been invaded by stripey flies, which I thought were Hornets but my other half said they are Hover Flies.

I have decided to call them HOOVER flies, because on  a real close up, it looks as though the pollen is being sucked up....!!


Does anyone know what these things are really called ?


21/08/2013 at 20:07


21/08/2013 at 20:09

Definitely hoverflies Lyndab. Nice pic

21/08/2013 at 20:10

My kids used to call them horror flies when they were little

21/08/2013 at 20:24

Thanks one and all for confirming my other half was right and I was wrong....Agh - that's another one I have lost....


Never mind,  they will always be HOOVER flies to me..

email image
5 messages