London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
13 messages
07/01/2014 at 09:34

This may seem like a daft question, so apologies if it is.  I'd love to encourage hedgehogs into our garden.  It is a reasonable size with a little woody area at the far end, where we have oak trees and scots pines.  A good hedge down the length of the garden 30m's worth.  Is there any way we'd know if we already had hedgehogs around here, or do you just build/buy them a house and see if anything goes in ?  We have a fox, and lots of wildlife / birds in the garden.

Where would we start with something like this.  Don't want to feed them as I feel it should all be natural. Maybe they are out there and we just don't know... 

Any advice ?

Thanks, 

07/01/2014 at 09:40

Hi Peanuts

If you've got hedgehogs you'll see the droppings about the garden in summer. Little cylindrical shaped ones'

google 'hedgehog droppings' and have a look

07/01/2014 at 10:14

a little before dusk you will hear them, noisy buggers they are. I was amazed to discover what was making all the racket and you can follow them if your still and quiet they have bad eyesight, down wind works best for this. I used to hear one go past lots of evenings if i was reading my book in my hammock after pretending to tend the garden. 

07/01/2014 at 10:17

ooh maybe we do have them then, as I've seen poop like that and thought it was a cat.  How exciting.  thank you. 

07/01/2014 at 10:58

That is exciting. I'm envious, none here for years

07/01/2014 at 11:55

We have several visit our garden each evening - ours don't make an appearance until a couple of hours after dark - think they go next door first - we put some food out for them as we're well aware that some of the changes we've made to this garden since we came here have temporarily reduced the hedgehog-friendly habitat and food supplies - we also ensure there's a shallow bowl of fresh rainwater available every evening - we've often seen them drink from it and it's always half empty in the morning.  We also have a couple of hedgehog houses in quiet corners - we believe at least one of them to be in use this winter.  

Poo on the lawn is the first sign of hedgehogs - the second way of spotting them is to send a smoker to sit out on the garden bench for their late evening puff - my daughter thought we'd got a prowler in the undergrowth until she saw a hedgehog snuffling around near her feet 

07/01/2014 at 14:48

yes i thought it was a person first time too, so much noise for such a small chap.

07/01/2014 at 15:01
Random Mike wrote (see)

yes i thought it was a person first time too, so much noise for such a small chap.

Actually, ours wasn't that small - quite a substantial individual - daughter named him Hefty!  He/she's easily identifiable when there are other hoggies visiting 

07/01/2014 at 15:55

There was one on my lawn a few weeks ago, quite big too. I felt very honoured by his visit. A friend figured out he had come through a hole in the fence.

07/01/2014 at 16:01

We have cut holes in our fence (hedgehog gates) especially so that the hedgehogs can come and go around the neighbourhood - hedgehogs need to cover a fair distance every night to feed and to meet up for romantic liaisons - one of the causes of the decline in hedgehog population is the increase in solid fencing 

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/hedgehog-street.html

07/01/2014 at 16:12

I've done that too Dove. We had a new solid wood side gate fitted & as I knew, from droppings, the old gate was a 'route' I asked the joiner to cut one out.

Trouble is a local cat can sneak through as well. He/she then hides amongst my Hosta pots to stake out the birds feeding nearby! (Said cat, I assume, has also buckled the the polycarbonate lid to 1 of my coldframes by jumping down from the fence onto it!!)

Last summer I found the 'nest' of dried leaves under a Leyland hedge where I expect 1 had hibernated over winter 12/13.

Daughter also woke her parents at about 3am one night, after a night duty, to show us her photo of our visitor!! J.

07/01/2014 at 16:53

Yes, the neighbourhood cats know the route in  there's a fringe of fluff caught on the wood of the archway through the fence - but they know they're not welcome and now I'm at home more I'm endeavouring to re-educate them 

13/01/2014 at 14:41

We have two or three who come regularly to eat peanuts that we leave on the lawn for the squirrel.  They can be noisy but don't seem too bothered when we shine a torch on them (not in their eyes of course!)

email image
13 messages