Start a new thread
Keyser Soze

I'm still offshore at the minute but due home soon!

I can't wait to get cracking and out to the garden centres.

Making a long list of moth friendly plants so fingers crossed.

I hope the timing is right, some years I miss the British summer completely!

GillyL

On Saurday we saw our first Hummingbird moths of the year,two together on our Valerian,such a pleasure to see them returning,usuallky solitary so two was a bit unusaul for us.

Fairygirl

Are they the big ones Gilly? Think I asked you the other day but you probably didn't see my post.

Never seen one - I'd probably run a mile! I'm a real coward when it comes to moths - silly I know. Stems from childhood. I'm trying to see them as just slightly duller butterflies - not sure it's working though! ....

nutcutlet

Fg, they're not very big and they fly in the daytime so maybe you could just pretend they're butterflies. Some of the moths aren't duller than butterflies

Advertisement

Fairygirl

I'm hopeless with them nut! I used to get big ones in my bedroom as a child and some were very furry and had - to my eyes- little horns so I was terrified of them! There was an old chair of my Gran's stuffed with horse hair etc and I think some were living in the upholstery. When I had my first daughter she didn't see any difference between moths or butterflies or any other insect and I tried to be like her - didn't want to pass on my hang up about them!

But, try as I might, I still find them strangely disconcerting.....

nutcutlet

I didn't used to like anythiung flying around me Fg but I found IDing them , birds 9r moths, improved things. That pic is an Elephant hawkmoth. The humming bird one had never stayed still long enough for a photo shoot

Fairygirl

I know it's completely irrational nut-  it's the only insect I have any problem with! Perhaps you're right - I should check out the names and habits etc just like I did with butterflies when I was attracting them into the garden for the first time.

Salino

...could anyone tell me what moths these are please...?  photos taken 3 years ago on Lily 'Casa Blanca'.. late evening/dark... the moths were swarming over the flowers but most flew off just as I took the photo...  I've since got rid of the lillies due to lily beetle...or rather, they got rid of them... thank you...

nutcutlet

Silver Ys, day flying moths. So called because of the silver Y on the wings

Salino

..oh thank you... I've never heard of those, fairly common though I suppose... I thought they might be Hawk Moths... it was almost dark when I took the photo...

..strange to call them 'day flying' isn't it..

nutcutlet

They fly all day Salino, sometimes they come in their dozens. Must fly at night as well though cos they turn up in the moth trap .

I think they are mistaken for Hummingbird hawkmoths but once you've seen the real thing there's no doubt which is which

Salino

..thank you nutcutlet... I'm very pleased with that information... I've been wondering for 3 years...

nutcutlet

that's a long wonder Salino

Salino

...and now it's all ended... bit of an anti-climax really...

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Perhaps you'll spot a new species in the garden this summer and you can have another wonder 

Salino

...with you just a fingertip away, I won't have to wonder long.. will I..?

..and thanks for the prompt response earlier.... I'm not one for waiting long...

GillyL

Fairygirl sorry did not see your earlier post re the Hummimgbird Moth,

They are about an inch long,the body looks a bit like a bumble bee,sort of furry,when they are taking nectar from a plant they hover and a probosis just like a humming bird goes into the flower.Thay are really pretty and interesting to watch,if you think of it as a flying bumble bee with a long nose its not so scary.

Try googling hummingbird moth and see what you think.

Going back to the moth on the lily, I don't think this is a Silver Y (Autographa gamma). Looks a bit like a Privet Hawk Moth, although I can't do much with the photo.