Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 85 replies

Keyser Soze

I was thinking of trying to attract this lovely creature into my garden after my Wife and I saw them in the garden of our hotel in Italy.

After reading up on them I was thinking of planting some Galium Verum or Lady's Bedstraw upon which they lay their eggs.

Has anyone had any success in attracting these moths or if they frequent your garden what is it that seems to attract them?

nutcutlet

Their favourite in my garden is Ceratostigma wilmottianum, if they arrive at all they love that

Dovefromabove

We get them on the buddliea in the gardens at work.

X

I get them on Verbena bonariensis.

summerwine

Used to have a garden with lots of soapwort, too much really, but we had one 2years running, lovely.

Advertisement

Welshonion

I'm not sure that they breed in this country.  I think they are migrants from the Continent.

nutcutlet

they sometimes breed here but nothing survives over winter and they don't go back home

Keyser Soze

Thank you for all the replies!

I am currently reorganising the garden and would like to make it more attractive to wildlife (within reason)!

I do have some of the minature buddlia in pots on the patio ready to go in and was thinking about Verbena so it's a good start.

I'm up North in Northumberland but I know we get some sightings now and again so fingers crossed!

Dovefromabove

I seem to see them most often when sitting outside in a pub garden with a cooling glass in my hand on a hot sunny day - if that's any help 

Keyser Soze

Funnily enough I was having a glass of wine in a garden when I first spotted one!

Perhaps they're attracted to alcohol? I'd better stock up just in case!  

nutcutlet

I like that idea, 

I think it's going to take more than a glass of sauvignon to get them up here against all the northerly winds we're getting this year

Keyser Soze

Newcastle brown ale in one of those hummingbird feeders perhaps!

GillyL

We always get them on valerian,they love it and we never have a year without these welcome visitors.

Advertisement

NickyB

Anyone ever seen one in Lincs ? Would love to see one ! 

nutcutlet

not far away Nicky, Peterborough. Not this year though, not yet

Dovefromabove

I've seen them where I work in a village just north of Norwich - not that far away 

NickyB

Ooh exCited!