Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hummingbird Hawk Moth

I was thinking of trying to attract this lovely creature into my garden after my Wife and I saw them in the garden of our hotel in Italy.

After reading up on them I was thinking of planting some Galium Verum or Lady's Bedstraw upon which they lay their eggs.

Has anyone had any success in attracting these moths or if they frequent your garden what is it that seems to attract them?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Their favourite in my garden is Ceratostigma wilmottianum, if they arrive at all they love that

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

We get them on the buddliea in the gardens at work.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• XX Posts: 707

I get them on Verbena bonariensis.

• summerwinesummerwine Posts: 83

Used to have a garden with lots of soapwort, too much really, but we had one 2years running, lovely.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I'm not sure that they breed in this country.  I think they are migrants from the Continent.

They have always migrated here in the spring and bred here in the summer, but in the past were unable to survive our winters.  

However, it seems that this is no longer the case http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/worldonthemove/species/humming-bird-hawk-moth/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

they sometimes breed here but nothing survives over winter and they don't go back home

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Keyser SozeKeyser Soze Posts: 126

Thank you for all the replies!

I am currently reorganising the garden and would like to make it more attractive to wildlife (within reason)!

I do have some of the minature buddlia in pots on the patio ready to go in and was thinking about Verbena so it's a good start.

I'm up North in Northumberland but I know we get some sightings now and again so fingers crossed!

I seem to see them most often when sitting outside in a pub garden with a cooling glass in my hand on a hot sunny day - if that's any help image

• Keyser SozeKeyser Soze Posts: 126

Funnily enough I was having a glass of wine in a garden when I first spotted one!

Perhaps they're attracted to alcohol? I'd better stock up just in case! image