Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 38 replies

Hey everyone,

Has anyone got any experience of using Bradshaw's poly flex pond liner with free underlay and lifetime guarantee?

It seems really cheap compared to epdm (preferred option) but, as with all things in life, the preferred option is always more than you can afford πŸ™„

And one more thing, will a buddlea be a problem for the liner? I have one close to where the edge of the liner will be and would hate the roots to pierce the liner. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

😊

Last edited: 01 December 2017 10:04:57

Lyn

I could have written that post!πŸ˜€

I used this liner, brown side up as not so glary as the black.

https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/pondkraft-polyex-pond-liners-with-free-underlay-and-lifetime-guarantee

i also have a  Buddlea the problem’s not with roots but with the leaves falling in, OH is going to have it out this winter. The main thing is to put a long piece of wood right across length and width and use a spirit level or else it looks awful. 

And 2 years later

Fairygirl

I have the same liner as Lyn, and have used it in the past too. As far as I know, that other pond's still there 

My pond here is tiny, and I've used it black side up, but I think it's easier with a small pond as faras the colour's concerned.

Buddleias shouldn't affect it in any way. The roots are quite shallow. 

Lyn

Just that the leaves drop in the pond.

Hello Fairygirl,

Thanks for the info about the buddlea - should look lovely!

I can only see your reply but am assuming there are more because you mention Lyn and heading says there are 4 posts . Not sure why that is? But this means I still don't know about the liner 😁

πŸ€”

Advertisement

BobTheGardener

Hi Daisydot, check that you haven't accidentally "ignored" Lyn.  To see your settings, click your icon at the top (next to Logout) and select "My settings" then "Forum settings" and look at the box "Members I am ignoring".  If you see Lyn in there, click "remove" to the right of her name.

Fairygirl

I could have written that post!πŸ˜€

I used this liner, brown side up as not so glary as the black.

https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/pondkraft-polyex-pond-liners-with-free-underlay-and-lifetime-guarantee

i also have a  Buddlea the problem’s not with roots but with the leaves falling in, OH is going to have it out this winter. The main thing is to put a long piece of wood right across length and width and use a spirit level or else it looks awful. 

Just in case it's not as Bob says (although that sounds most likely!) I've copied Lyn's original post above, DDot 

Roots aren't a prob, just leaves in autumn - that goes for any other deciduous planting you might have close by. You can net it, if the pond isn't too big,  or get a longhandled net to reach any debris . 

Last edited: 01 December 2017 17:02:47

Lyn
BobTheGardener says:

Hi Daisydot, check that you haven't accidentally "ignored" Lyn.  To see your settings, click your icon at the top (next to Logout) and select "My settings" then "Forum settings" and look at the box "Members I am ignoring".  If you see Lyn in there, click "remove" to the right of her name.

See original post

Thanks Bob, lots do!πŸ˜€ as Hosta says....Bonkers but lovely, Bless him.πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Lyn

Thanks Fairygirl, I wondered what had happened there for a moment,   You forgot the photosπŸ˜€

Fairygirl

OOh err Lyn....   

Fairygirl

Bit small - it wouldn't work the normal way  

Oops - opposite - not sure how that happened! They started as little jpegs in my post, but got a bit big when I posted it  

Last edited: 01 December 2017 17:32:21

OKAY!!!!

So, I have just followed Bob's advice and apparently I am an ignorant ****! I'm so sorry, Lyn. I was ignoring you and have no idea why or how, especially as we've never met! πŸ˜€ But I did spy a stunningly beautiful pond as I scrolled down at breakneck speed, and am very envious!

so, I'll just go back up now and read everything properly from the top - thanks so much...

😊

We recently made a largish wildlife pond using Bradshaws liner and underlay, approx 14m x 8m. It was far far cheaper than butyl. Hopefully we will never need to find out how good their 25 year guarantee is. They said they would send a 25 year guarantee certifIcate but didn’t. It was only when I said I would not leave good feedback  if they did not send it that they eventually sent the certificate.

The liner is lightweight and pretty easy to install. We were worried about the weight of a large piece of butyl and that it would tear. Bradshaws liner seems pretty strong. Yesterday someone else asked about a large wildlife pond and I posted some pictures of ours. I’m on the wrong device right now for posting them again.

thanks for the thoughtful copy Fairygirl.

We're planning to net the leaves out so they shouldn't be an issue and I am really pleased the buddlea will be able to stay - it's near the beach end which is edged by a woodland bed. At the other end of the pond there is a small ish bog garden and the rest of the pond has about 50-75cm of soil before you reach the gravel paths.

The pond was dug over a year ago and is now full of weeds so ther a lot of work to do before we line it, which will be soon. But the plan is to have a disabled friendly wildlife garden that we can open for the ngs.

We have had help from volunteers and Dorset Perennials online helped with some free plants for our pollinator bed, opposite the pond. What help we get will be acknowledged in signage on the open day (good advertising) and as we are in such an exposed location, if we pull it off, we'll be chuffed 😊

Lots of work yet - will post some photos 

πŸ˜€

Thanks Redwing, I'm glad they sent the certificate in the end although there shouldn't have been the need to chase it up in the first place. Your pond sounds lovely and large and when you say 'recently' do you mean this year? I'm always fascinated by how quickly they look established πŸ˜€

Advertisement

Yes, we started digging in mid August and it took a couple of weeks. I decided to hold off the planting until next spring as I didn’t want to spend a lot on plants only to have them succumb in a cold winter but I did invest in a lot of native oxygenators to keep the pond healthy over the winter.  Tomorrow I‘ll post some pictures. They are on another computer .

it is amazing how quickly some wildlife moved in. If you look on the RSPB and Wildlife Trust pond pages you can find lots of good suggestions for what to plant and equally important, what to avoid planting.

Hi Redwing,

when did you introduce the native oxygenators please? With my new pond I am also planning on not planting anything until spring for the same reason, but if you had success with your oxygenators, I might give that a shot...

Lyn

I put mine in straight away, but we dug ouEd in July I think,  not sure if you can buy any now.

i only got mine from eBay, just bunches of ten I think it was, by the following year it had spread, and by the second year I pulled out loads for the compost bin. You can see how quickly they spread in my photos above. 

Lyn

I followed the instructions in this little book, I found it just about right, there are so many conflicting   articles on the net,  this one... plain straight forward no fuss book.  if you read this you’ll find there’s nothing to worry about in building a pond.

mine is a wildlife pond so left very natural, I don’t know what’s entailed in building a formal/ornamental one. I wrote the first review.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/complete-wildlife-pond-Wildlife-maintain-ebook/product-reviews/B00D3RUDRC/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Fairygirl

I think you can get oxygenators all year round - pretty much. It'll depend which ones you want though, and where you get them, how they've been grown etc. 

Look forward to seeing your progress photos Ddot. Your requirements will be slightly different from most of us as you'll need good, level access etc, but it won't stop you having everything required for a good wildlife pond.