Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Incredible luck

It's incredible what you can find when you least expect it. We'd just rescued a tired bee and given it a meal of honey. I was now bored watching it feed so I walked around the garden taking photos. I was taking photos of the Dame's Violet when I noticed in the middle of the frame was this. 

Then imagine my amazement when I followed him has he flew off when I saw what he was flying off to. image

I'll insert a video of this amorous pair. image

Oh, in case you're wondering. They're Orange Tips. Anthocharis cardamines

Here's the link

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I've never seen a butterfly like that Jim. Wonder what they are, sure someone will know. image 

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Sorry Kef I meant to say. It's an Orange Tip - Anthocharis cardamines. They're here for my Lady's smock

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Lovely Jim, absolutely lovely image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Thanks Jim, as Dove says they are lovely.

Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Lovely Jim, absolutely lovely image

image Yeah, I feel so lucky. I've seen them down the meadows a few times now but this is the first time I've seen them in the garden. image Looks like I'm doing some good. image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

That's brill Jimimage

I've never seen an orange tip before at least not a male...

Wearside, England.
    Victoria Sponge wrote (see)

That's brill Jimimage

I've never seen an orange tip before at least not a male...

Sow some Lady's Smock (Cuckoo flower) Cardamine pratensis. That's their main food plant. And they obviously like Dame's Violet flowers. image

I've inserted the video link already I hope it works, I'm taking the dogs out to see if we can see some more. image

Thanks everyone. image Such a lovely day. I inserted a link above in the original post to the video. You'll have to share your visitors image Pauline, I'm glad I solved your mystery. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The larvae like Jack by the Hedge, Alliaria petiolata as well but the Cardamine is much prettier and less inclined to garden domination.

Beautiful video Jim

In the sticks near Peterborough