Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 32 replies

Netfella

I've been trying to attract more birds to the garden lately but I really wasn't expecting this! 

Steve 309

Wow!

What is it?  Looks like some kind of finch - but not one I recognise. 

I have just had a look on the Rspb website and could be a Bullfinch?

Netfella

No idea what it is! I think it must be an escapee or maybe some sort of a migrant. I don't think Christchurch is considered tropics yet, maybe after some more global warming.

J

Advertisement

Steve 309

Na.  Bullfinch isn't as brightly coloured and has a smaller bill.  (Maybe it had a discount.  Smaller bill.  Discount.  Oh, never mind...)  Pretyy sure it ain't British anyway.  Either an aviary escape or a first ?

Dovefromabove

That's exciting.

Definitely not a bullfinch - the nearest I've ever seen to your picture is a House finch from North Africa but the colour is too bright and the markings are too distinct for that.

I'm pretty good on UK birds but that's not a native species.   I've looked on all the websites with finches from around the world and can't find it.  

Can you notify the RSPB here  http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/reporting.aspx 

Orchid Lady

Wow that's pretty  Much prettier than the magpies that my dogs keep chasing away !

And you live in Christchurch.......that's where I'm going to live when I win the lottery and can buy a boat from Poole 

Steve 309

Are you a sailor OL?

Orchid Lady

Not at all Steve, but if I win the lottery I will have someone doing it for me while I learn  I'll just be lay on the deck of my Sunseeker with my cocktail...........hmmm, day dreaming is such fun 

Steve 309

OK - well I'll skipper it for you

I coud do with a wealthy patron!

Hi I've just googled your bird and found some pictures of the southern red bishop which look quite similar, but it is a lovely bird you are very lucky to have it visit

Steve 309

...and it has to be a proper sailing yacht, not a motor boat and certainly not a S*ns**k*r !!

Orchid Lady

I take it you're a sailor then Steve? 

Susie, it dies look like a Southern Red Bishop 

Forester2

Yes, Steve - a 'real' boat.

Fabulous bird Netfella - I hope it will survive our winters.

Advertisement

fidgetbones

Most like a Northern red bishopbird.

supposed to be in North Africa, i guess he got lost.

Put it out on birdwatch and charge the twitchers admission!!!!

Netfella

Yeah looks like a Red Bishop to me as well I wonder how it came to be here? He's still around, he seems to like it in my garden.

Netfella
Thanks, I'll have a look and see what I have to do. I'm in half a mind just to leave him be. He seems quite happy and is certainly fighting his corner as far as the sparrows are concerned.

I am fairly sure that's actually from mid-to-south Africa, rather than north Africa. I remember seeing this is Cape Town a couple of years back.

I can't see that flying here....it must have escaped from a collection.