Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 21 replies

We've got a young Jay who's taken a fancy to the seed pods of Fuchsias. Quite amusing watching it trying to balance on the bendy shoots trying to snatch the pods.

Flora rosa

Ooh yes photos please .... Very lucky to see jays, such shy creatures, never usually see outside woodland 

nutcutlet

They're very clever birds. I like to watch them with fat balls in  string bags.

I like my fat balls in the feeders for preference but the jays manage better with the bags, hooking them up onto a branch and demolishing them

Flora rosa

That's a definite try for me now , hope I see some! Had a pair last spring (2013) wondering my garden, never been back ....  Would love to see again 

Advertisement

Gosh, I've never seen anything eating the fuchsia seed pods. Wonderful.

Fishy65

Gorgeous birds,highly secretive which is a shame with them being so handsome 

nutcutlet

I like the way they bounce when hopping round the garden

Sorry, no photos. It arrives at random times and doesn't stay long enough. We have an oakwood 20m away and we have Jays all the time. They're also very fond of the Golden Hornet crab apples in next door's garden. They last them well into the winter.

Liriodendron

Lovely birds - and apparently very important in regenerating oak woodland, because they collect acorns & bury them a distance away from the parent tree as a winter food store.  The ones they don't eat often germinate, growing in open ground, whereas acorns germinating under the tree don't get enough light, and die.  Clever, eh?  

Fishy65

Brilliant isn't it Liriodendron. Makes you wonder if there's some divine plan behind it 

hollie hock

Saw my first Jay maybe a couple of years ago, beautiful birds.

Green Magpie

I know a woman who eats fuchsia seeds. Mind you, she's a bit strange....

artjak

I used to get a Jay in my garden in West London.

Advertisement

Liriodendron

Not that strange...  I believe you can make preserves from them. 

Liriodendron

...make preserves from fuchsia berries, not from jays... 

LesleyK

Really glad you amended that Liri

Yviestevie

I saw my first Jay when I worked for the Wildlife Trust, I had always imagined they were smaller birds.  When on hols in Turkey about two years ago there was a jay who spent a lot of time in the trees at a nearby restaurant.  Everytime the owner lit up a cigarette the jay would take it off him and fly off with it.  I have no idea what he did with it but it was a good way of cutting back on the ciggies.