Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Junior Gardeners World

Woundnt be such a bad idea to let the kids have a thread of there own too chat about what there doing in the garden and how there doing things  got this link (not sure i dont have kids )   http://www.juniorgardenersworld.co.uk/galleries/bbc-gardeners-world-live-2013-i-cant-wait/

• yes I agree,lots of kids really enjoy gardening and could learn a lot from each other and better than some of those chat sites they have.image

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

I agree too. It's better to look in the nature's future than in a dark (another Internet-pages-)future...What is a nature, what is a future without lovers of our green world...ThaiGer.

I think many time children and our future. I wrote a pdf on my website, now I see, what I have forgotten : Learn TOGETHER in garden...I must create a new...look in the old PDF: happy children , ThaiGer

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Yaaay, free child labour..

Nooo!, I mean not "hard labour" for children! I men TOGETHER-MADE-EXPERIENCES...ThaiGer.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I'm puzzled by that website. It tries to give an impression that it is, in some way, part of Gardeners' World. The website uses a very similar logo, which may be a trademark.

The website also tries to give an impression that it is the work of some kiddy 'Harry'. "I’m Harry and I’d like to welcome you to my website.... The ideas are all mine".

A little bit of research reveals that website is not what it seems to be. It is in fact owned by one Erica Ward. She was an exhibitor at Gardeners World Live in 2012. It's possible that she has obtained some licencing arrangement with the official GW, though that's not apparent from the website.

Aside from issues about deception, and the legitimacy of the website, the question of involving children with nature and gardening is a separate question, and there are numerous public and official initiatives.

Young gardeners have posted on this forum, occasionally. Though the reception they received from 'expert' gardeners has not been entirely encouraging. I can recall a few instances where children have posted on here and have virtually been ignored. Example on this thread, a person called Cody:
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/lifting-lily-bulbs/5590.html

There was an ealier case (possibly the same person) who posted several YouTube videos of his garden, and almost got a cold shoulder from most other posters. He certainly didn't get much encouragement.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There was this recently

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/teenage-gardeners/69705.html

I think the problem maybe be that in this age that we live in some people are wary of engaging with "children" over the internet-there a few dodgy characters about-I would prefer to see some parental guidance on that site-what actual precautions are there in place to deter any unsavoury element?

Has that been looked into?

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

At least the website at the top of this thread is run by someone's mum, so is unlikely to be a front for a paedophile ring.

But there's certainly need for caution.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

That wasn't my thought-my thought was what precautions are there in place to stop adults posting on a site dedicated to childrens gardening-and posing as children

The CBBC site takes precautions on there message board that precludes anyone over the age of 16 registering.

• oh! not sure here wat!! i posted here i thought this was a genu.. site it looks real to me if not lets ask Daniel and see wat he says.My only intrest in posting this link is i think its about the new generation that carries our knowlogde own and so on and on to the next new gardeners