London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
6 messages
14/06/2012 at 20:51

Has anyone got ladybirds,lots of Green fly no Ladybirds to eat them.I am an organic gardener relying on predators to keep pess in check.

14/06/2012 at 21:06

My garden also is light on ladybirds at the moment even though I had loads hibernating in early spring. My roses have been cleared of greenfly by sparrows, bluetits and wrens, would they eat ladybirds also?

14/06/2012 at 21:35

My garden was crawling with ladybirds about 2 months ago. Now there are not. However, to my surprise the garden has now become a nursery for their larvae. Which is great because they have a bigger appetite for aphids then their parents.

Took this today. 7-spot ladybird by its markings.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8849.jpg?width=430&height=350&mode=max

14/06/2012 at 23:04

I don't think I've seen so many for years as I've seen in my garden this year. I'm in Derbyshire and also garden organically. 

14/06/2012 at 23:54

Ladybird populations can vary enormously in the same garden from year to year.  If the winter is mild, lots will live through it and your garden can be literally crawling with them in early spring.  They then mate, lay eggs and most will then die, but their larvae (like Marshmello shows) will hatch and eat aphids voraciously, so much so that they may have trouble finding any aphids at all.  If that happens, many will die before they reach the stage where they glue themselves to a leaf and turn into adult ladybirds in late summer, so the next year you may not see many about in early spring.  It's a cycle many predatory animals go through, known scientifically as Predator-Prey Dynamics (or more commonly "foxes and rabbits".)

15/06/2012 at 06:57

Quite a few in my garden but nowhere near as many as there were a couple of months ago.  Will do a search for the larvae.....when it stops raining!

email image
6 messages