London (change)
Today 25°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
05/08/2013 at 23:25

Thanks Roy - worth watching out for!

Mike

24/04/2015 at 17:55

I think I may have a leaf cutter bee in my front garden. Something is eating great big holes in the ivy growing on the front fence - some leaf stems now completely bare.  It is a southwest facing wall which gets very warm when the sun shines and we have seen what I thought was a bumblebee flying around the front windows recently..  There are also lots of little black things like seeds on the ground.  No sign of caterpillars or insects though.  Would this be leafcutter bees ?

Edd
24/04/2015 at 18:14

I hope it is a leafcutter bee but i think it might be the brown garden snail (Cornu aspersum) and the white garden snail (Theba pisana) they feed on English ivy plants. They chew unsightly holes in the leaves and leave silvery trails of mucus on the foliage.

There is a ivy bee as well but I am not sure if it cuts the leaves?

24/04/2015 at 18:37

Ivy Bees feed mainly on Ivy nectar and pollen. They are a type of plasterer bee, so build nest cells in sandy banks and loose cliff faces.

24/04/2015 at 18:45

BERGHILL.    Just wondered what those special seedlings were that you were trying to bring on to selling size.    Love the ariel picture of your garden on another thread.  You certainly have a lovely big garden.  

25/04/2015 at 18:27

I doubt it's Leafcutter Bees, mine don't emerge till June, and they need delicate leaves like rose leaves for wrapping up their eggs together with food.

27/04/2015 at 08:33

I don`t seem to be able to find out what is doing this.  There is no sign of

snails or slugs around them at the moment.

27/04/2015 at 08:43

Can you post a pic or two Froginhood?  Click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow instructions.

27/04/2015 at 08:53

Thanks I will take some pictures and post later - have builders in this morning.  I did wonder if it was leaf cutting ants but appears I would have to get up in the night to see them !

04/05/2015 at 09:30

I am sorry but I don`t seem to be able to download photos my husband took of the ivy.  I am getting invalid file messages from Radload. I altered the file extension from .docx to .bmp but that does not help. The file is too big (just over 6 MBP, over 4 MBP when compressed) but I am not certain how to reduce it.  Is the free application REDUCE SIZE safe ?  Maybe I could reduce it on his mobile and re-send it.  I will try that.

04/05/2015 at 10:31

Runnybeak. Not sure now what the seedlings were. Such a long time ago. The bee larva hatched and flew away in the spring. I do know that much.

Edd
04/05/2015 at 12:40

Froginhood. When you get the error message, ignore it and just press return and leave it. Wait a good few seconds. It will appear. (fingers crossed for you) 

04/05/2015 at 17:39

Berghill.. you can't remember what types of plants you grew two years ago that would fetch you 400 quid?!  AND had bees nesting in there.  Seems to me most would remember something like that. 

You've got me curious now.. especially with the evasiveness.    My thoughts automatically brings to mind a certain plant that is now legal in two US states, and a European country or two.. 

04/05/2015 at 17:44

Certainly not, and not being evasive. I honestly cannot remember what they were or whether or not they survived.

At that sort of value I would guess they were Hepaticas, in which case they probably died.

04/05/2015 at 17:59

I'm just teasing you Berghill.. I didn't mean to cause offense.  

04/05/2015 at 18:20

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/75556.bmp?width=248&height=350&mode=max

Top of hedge is stripped nearly bare - just stems waving about. Thanks for tip. It worked. Opened in Photo Gallery first.

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages