London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
6 messages
02/02/2014 at 18:26

I have been given a very small patch of ground at the school I work at.  I'm very keen to grow things, but I also want to incorporate as much as I can to benefit wildlife.  I want to create a log pile with the children, but I have been told that there might be a risk to the children. I'm aware that yews are poisonous, so I won't use that, all I want is to create a wildlife log pile to show the children the amazing creatures that will soon inhabit it. Advice please.   

02/02/2014 at 18:36

What sort of risk are they thinking of - children climbing on logs which roll?  Well, they shouldn't be doing that because they should be leaving it quiet for the bugs and beasts.

Can't really think of anything else - I grew up playing in fields, ditches woods and barns and I still have four limbs and my head and various other bits and pieces.

You might find some help from the people here wildaboutbritain co uk 

and here

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/Documents/Wildlife-Leaflets/NC_deadwood_leaflet.pdf

Oh, can't make the second one do a direct link but if you highlight it you can ask Google to search for it 

02/02/2014 at 18:46

You can make a log pile more or less out of any wood.....build it as you would build a wall.............good thick logs and infill with twigs, earth, etc which will be quicker to break down and will contain a life system.  Moss can be a good filler as can grass turves.  It will take time to come to life and the children can watch what happens when bits decay and how the pile changes

I hope you all enjoy it .

02/02/2014 at 23:22

I agree. A log pile is just that, a pile of logs. Stack them up and leave them, over time, ( years) they will provide lots of education value in terms of ecology, biology and environmental awareness. Go for it.

08/02/2014 at 17:56

Thank you, lots of good advice from you all.  I'm looking forward to making this, with the help of the children, who will enjoy seeing what lurks within it

08/02/2014 at 19:43

If you are worried about the logs rolling, hammer in a couple of stakes on each side of the pile. As for yew being poisonous, I hope the kids aren't chewing it? Its not poisonous if they leave it alone, or wash their hands after being in the garden.

email image
6 messages