London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 16°C
6 messages
02/02/2014 at 18:26

I have been given a very small patch of ground at the school I work at.  I'm very keen to grow things, but I also want to incorporate as much as I can to benefit wildlife.  I want to create a log pile with the children, but I have been told that there might be a risk to the children. I'm aware that yews are poisonous, so I won't use that, all I want is to create a wildlife log pile to show the children the amazing creatures that will soon inhabit it. Advice please.   

02/02/2014 at 18:36

What sort of risk are they thinking of - children climbing on logs which roll?  Well, they shouldn't be doing that because they should be leaving it quiet for the bugs and beasts.

Can't really think of anything else - I grew up playing in fields, ditches woods and barns and I still have four limbs and my head and various other bits and pieces.

You might find some help from the people here wildaboutbritain co uk 

and here

Oh, can't make the second one do a direct link but if you highlight it you can ask Google to search for it 

02/02/2014 at 18:46

You can make a log pile more or less out of any it as you would build a wall.............good thick logs and infill with twigs, earth, etc which will be quicker to break down and will contain a life system.  Moss can be a good filler as can grass turves.  It will take time to come to life and the children can watch what happens when bits decay and how the pile changes

I hope you all enjoy it .

02/02/2014 at 23:22

I agree. A log pile is just that, a pile of logs. Stack them up and leave them, over time, ( years) they will provide lots of education value in terms of ecology, biology and environmental awareness. Go for it.

08/02/2014 at 17:56

Thank you, lots of good advice from you all.  I'm looking forward to making this, with the help of the children, who will enjoy seeing what lurks within it

08/02/2014 at 19:43

If you are worried about the logs rolling, hammer in a couple of stakes on each side of the pile. As for yew being poisonous, I hope the kids aren't chewing it? Its not poisonous if they leave it alone, or wash their hands after being in the garden.

email image
6 messages