London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
17 messages
10/07/2013 at 22:07

hello everybody,

i've started to dig out a bog garden, would like a pond but too many kids sharing the garden. anyone got some simple, simple, simple tips? nothing too boffin-like? and what about plants? would love to encourage wild life, frogs, toads, crabs, giraffes, pine-martens, white tailed sea eagles,wayne rooney, duckdoo's? what's a duckdoo? quack, quack! aiming a bit high but one must dream? many thanks.

dan

11/07/2013 at 00:25

Hi Dan, I'm trying to build a pond and a bog garden, and I've read so much about it on so many different websites that I've got completely confused.  If you knock out a lot of the blog padding though, bog gardens seem to come down to - dig a hole,  put some old compost bags in the bottom and make holes in them, fill up with soil and plant things.  The most useful tip seems to be to put one end of a length of hose in the bottom of the hole so you can top the water up from the bottom - apparently if you only top fill it, the soil can be too acidic.  I think what you can plant relies on the bogginess of your bog garden!  Mine will be getting pond marginal ones which like it very soggy, but I think a lot of bog gardens have very successful populations of hostas etc.  Someone who has already got one will help you far more with this I'm sure - I hope so, cos I could do with some practical rather than theoretical advice too.

11/07/2013 at 05:25

thank you sara 4. that's smashing advice. good tip regards the hose. i saw something on tv about hosta's saying you can eat the leaves? anyone tried this?  just need to get stuck in later today. good luck with your pond and bog sara, these things add such a lot more fun and interest to the garden. it would be great to see a dragon-fly visiting, and wayne rooney is always welcome, but keep your ball away from my green-house!

11/07/2013 at 21:16

A plant called ' gunnera manicata ' think that's spelt right is a great addition to any bog garden. This plant does grow to a big size with huge leaves, almost prehistoric looking. I think they need a bit of protection in the winter. Cover the crowns with straw, fleece Etc etc

11/07/2013 at 22:02

I have built more than 2 bog gardens as I love the plants within them so much. For each one I removed about 60cm of soil, layed an old butyl liner in the bottem in which I pierced  quite a lot of holes, and a length of hose with pin holes in it that layed along the bottom in the middle of the liner, with the top of it coming out hust above level ground which i attched a hose end to so that I could water  the trench at the bottom with a hose. I then tipped in about 3cm of gravel into the bottom then refilled all the soil back in. I planted it with astilbe, ligularia przewalskii, hosta's and candelabra primulas. I another nog garden I have which is built almost in the same way except it is fed by a stream which is topped up by the water off of my roof via a wheel I have I have planted atstible, drum stick primulas, gunnera magellanica (a tiny gunnara which is fully hardy), ferns, iris ensata. golden sedges, hostas and delmera peltata.

13/07/2013 at 12:20

hi dazzler, hi wrightt,

thanks for replies. great advice, again the hose trick, seems a must? lots of stuff for me to mull over whilst continuing my bog slog. i like the sound of your heath robinson stream feeding watering system wrightt, cool! thanks again. i think wayne rooney would feel right at home running around under gunnera mantica?  or am i missing a link here?

13/07/2013 at 13:50

Unless you've got several acres I'd avoid a gunnera they grow rather big http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/358.shtml

I'd go for a Rodgersia 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/3006.shtml

another good architectural plant that likes to have it's feet damp, but it won't grow bigger than your house!

13/07/2013 at 15:21

Dove suggested the Rodgersia to me as well, and I chickened out of the Gunnera because there's one in Dorset and the leaves are eight feet across.  Another suggestion to go with the Rodgersia is Heavenly Bamboo (it isn't bamboo) - the foliage changes colour strikingly at different times of year.  I think its real name is Nandina Domestica.  Why the fixation with Wayne Rooney?  If I found him in my garden I'd move ....

13/07/2013 at 21:17

dovefromabove, bob was always the funnier one?  thanks for ideas, that's one big 'ol plant. wonder if you could smoke it? you'd have to use a double-sheet to wrap it in? i'd love to have a garden big enough but sadly not. the rodgersia is a pretty wee thing, lovely colour. thanks for the bamboo idea sara4. potential food source for the roo?

14/07/2013 at 05:41
dan brady wrote (see)

dovefromabove, bob was always the funnier one ....

14/07/2013 at 11:27

I too have dug a bog garden. It is about six to eight foot long but narrow and sits behind my 'wildlife pond' or puddle really. I dug down a good 18 inches, chucked away all the rubble and lined it with pond liner (forked with holes) and the hose pipe idea, also 'holed'. I put lots of compost into the hole - I also lined it with the turf, upside down as I read this was good. I now grow snakeshead frittilliary, candelabra primulas, astible and equesetum (not the horsetail one which is invasive, think its japonica). The hose pipe needs to be closed at one end or the water comes out! (I know - didn't think of that). It doesn't seem to sttract much wildlife although we have frogs in the pond and other creatures. Neither does it seem to remain very boggy. But the astilbe, which never thrived elsewhere inb my garden is very happy.

14/07/2013 at 14:22

hi janfran,

more good tips, thanks. i suppose location is pretty important too? if you build it...kevin costner will come! my garden, it's my dad's really but he thinks the garden is for opening the kitchen window and throwing out anything he dose'nt eat, that'll do the foxes! we have obese foxes now that get wedged in fences, don't know how many times the fire brigade have been sent for, they bring a huge tub of trex and rubber gloves, i'd go along the gavin hastings route myself. ideally i'd go for the pond but those pesky kids! i will carry-on and with all the good advice i will get some pleasure from my endeavours, a frog or two and maybe a small  hernia thrown in!  

24/07/2013 at 08:00

Bog gardens are very good looking. its very thick and green garden in looking. alot of big plants or flower plants you have to planted there. then you also have to take some pets like ducks, dogs hens. what ever you like or can easily handle.

24/07/2013 at 08:14

There's also Darmera peltata which is like a smaller Gunnera, and the Ligularias give a similar feel with their big leaves. They like a bit of sun though so as long as you can provide that you'll get the flowers. Any of the ferns and hostas would be great as the foliage is perfect for a jungly bog garden feel. 

24/07/2013 at 09:15

The Ligularia are excellent for your bog garden and even a shady damp area.  My 3 have flowered for the 1 st year.  My favourite is the Ligularia veitc

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28033.jpg?width=536&height=350&mode=max

hiana which has 6-7 ft spikes of  yellow flowers, and smells lovely.  Also have ferns, hosta, alstilbes (crimson red and the white are the best in my opinion) and yet to plant: rodgeria, darmera pelata,

Ligularia veitchiana attached, flowered from end of May to early July.  The ligularia przewalskii is very similar, more spikes and less height which is in flower now.

Alos the angelica gigas- biennial but now growing some seeds from last year's plant- also 6-7 feet high and magnificent.

Have lots of plants to still plant out, seem to spend all my time watering them at the moment...l!  Must get going this weekend. 

Picked up a plant from its temporary home a black plastic tray and found a newt- only 1.5 inches long, thought it was dead but was very much alive!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28034.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28036.jpg?width=533&height=350&mode=max

The red lobelias are also great for the bog garden as like soggy feet...  Slugs love them too- but this year seems to be a good year for lack of slugs..thanks goodness

24/07/2013 at 18:57

Hi Dizzy Lizzy - Your pictures are gorgeous.  What is the last one a picture of?  Also, some help please - I have read lots of bog garden blogs, most of which say they've backfilled the bog garden with soil from digging out the pond; but recently I've seen a few sets of instructions which specify filling it with aquatic soil (?)  These have been mainly from garden centres who seem keen to sell the stuff for £22.50 for a not very big bag (surprise surprise).  Has everybody got on ok with using 'normal' soil?

25/07/2013 at 21:11

alex, fairygirl, dizzylizzy, hi and good suggestions, dizzylizzy that's a smart looking garden, good work! as for my attempt? well it's coming on, i saw something on the babestation channel, about sticking a branch into a damp area, encourages some insects to burrow in and lay their eggs? anybody else aware of this? did i say babestation channel? meant discovery home channel. my neighbour george has a really nice witch-hazel. can someone suggest a stockist of extra long secateurs? my pair aren't quite long enough to reach his plant from my side of the fence? i'd ask him for a cutting but he's not speaking after i borrowed his ride-on to go down to greggs for the 4 sausage roll deal, 2 vanilla slices and a bag of various scones, the blueberry were lovely. i didn't know you aren't allowed on the road with a drive-on, didn't stop that guy in the movie going to visit his bro? strangely enough my garden is looking remarkably similar to george's! we appear to have the same taste in flora! pop in the old soil sara, just mix in some compost to liven it up, listen to me, 5 posts and i'm an expert!

email image
17 messages