Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Massive grass snake

I was sitting on the terrace reading about 3 ish when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye; it was a snake about 1m long. I did a vertical takeoff, like a Harrier Jump Jet from shear surprise. I'm actually rather fond of snakes and once did a days work with a python wrapped round my neckimage I checked online and it was a grass snake, not an adder. It was very beautiful; it raised it's head to me and then slithered off into the flower bed.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Wow, where do you live? You are very lucky image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

How cool is that?imageimageimage I'd be over the moonimage

Wearside, England.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

In the Fens, Norfolk. I saw a much smaller one vanish into the same part of the flower bed about 5 years ago; perhaps the holes I sometimes see in the ground are not rat holes, but snake holes.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Lucky you Artjak image Very Lucky you image 

I know grass snakes have been seen around here but we've not seen one in our garden - yet.    

When I had the smallholding we had grass snakes in the meadows and swimming in the ponds catching Gt Crested Newts. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Do they eat snails and slugs?

Think the younger ones eat slugs, but the bigger the snake, the bigger the prey - big ones will go for frogs, small mammals and birds - keep an eye on those baby robins!!!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine hunt in the pond but I haven't seen much of them this year. I may be jealousimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

Ahhh! thanks Dove; but Robins are way down the garden beyond the g/h. The bird feeders are very close to where the snake went; would they eat dropped bird seed? The birds who feed on the ground are mainly big wood pigeons, too big for a snake to tackle I would think.image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Oooo, if i keep feeding the mice, will i get a snake to move in???? image

They'll travel quite a way, and climb trees, to get to a bird's nest!