London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
16/06/2012 at 15:12
16/06/2012 at 17:13

They don't do anything beneficial in the garden that I'm aware of, and you certainly won't want them in your greenhouse. Where are they causing a problem?

16/06/2012 at 17:22

Mice are omnivores so are not keen on any garden pests-in the garden they are a pest themselves but as I have said elsewhere anything on legs can stroll in to your garden from your neighbours and there's is likely to be more than one.

A trap will work but is there a food source that is tempting them in-remove or deter them from that and they go elsewhere.

16/06/2012 at 17:35

I had them in the house a while back ( toddler dropping food everywhere and a dog that does the same with his kibbles), ended up hoovering up about 3 times a day and used the electronic traps, that soon made them move out (we are next to fields and have the same problem every autumn), they decide to move into the house when theirs is cut down, they don't last very long though!  The worst thing is removing the corpses (my husband is the biggest wuss in the world when it comes to dead things), with the electric traps you just open a dog poop bag, or carrier bag - make sure it has no holes, put the entire trap inside & open the door, the corpse will fall into the bag, double bag it & bin it.  I like them as they have a green light on when armed, which flashes red if they zap something.  I always get one or two in the autumn, refugees from the fields.

16/06/2012 at 21:04

Is it a house mouse?  Or are you lucky enough to have a Field Mouse/ Wood Mouse http://www.animalphotos.me/mammal-wood1.htm  , or even a little Bank Vole  http://www.mammal.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=318&Itemid=353 in your garden.   If it's a field mouse or a bank vole there's no need to worry, it's just part of the wildlife that lives around your garden, it will do little if any harn.

If it's a house mouse or even a rat, then trap it or call in the pest control people.  

17/06/2012 at 15:26

My next door neighbours have chickens and we have had more mice since then. The little darlings were nesting in a compost bin and i only found them when i turned it out. It was like a scene from alien, all these tiny baby mice crawling around i felt quite sick. Luckily i have a cat that is a good hunter and pointed him in the right direction. If it happens again i will lock the cat flap so i dont get any presents.Your local council should have names of pest control people. Or you could get a cat.

17/06/2012 at 15:40

I've just been sitting on our garden bench under a tree watching a little Woodmouse scurrying back and forth under the bench collecting seeds (mainly ash keys) - he/she is taking them under the fence into the next garden - probably laying up a store for the winter 

19/06/2012 at 16:52

Hi on an allotment they are definitely not required our allotments have a lot of plant damage due to mice we just suffer them were outnumbered 

24/06/2012 at 16:24

We occasionally get rats at the allotment when this happens the council get involved and put down poison. Not at all nice. think i can cope with mice better than rats. My cat Lennie decided to bring in frogs now, have you ever heard them squeal? and why does he have to do this in the middle of the night. The pleasures of having animals, i wouldnt be without them

24/06/2012 at 17:21

As long as they don't come in the house I'm content to let them be.. I think I'm turning into a Buddhist ,I really don't like killing anything. Plus if you claim to garden for wildlife - as I do - you have to take the cute and beneficial with the not so cute and beneficial. Regards cats bringing in stuff, I have a cat flap that only works with their microchip. While Mum cat isn't bothered about catching anything, the son chasing anything that moves - mainly leaves and flies fortunately - but negotiating the cat flap seems to deter him from bringing stuff into the house. Plus it stops other cats wandering in.

Anyway they say you're never far from a rat so I imagine it's pretty much the same with mice.

25/06/2012 at 16:32

Have tried the cat flap with the microchip was ok until i got Lennie, talk about paranoid last time i took him to vet ended up gettting bitten. Not good. Pleased to say no mice yet this week but it is only Monday. My Mum used to have a dog and kept the dog food in cupboard under the stairs, she ended up with very fat mice. Ended up calling pest control in he came disguised as the dog warden. the mice were coming in through the air brick. She is now mouse free.

25/06/2012 at 21:28

We found a dead mouse floating in the water butt one day last week. Thought the cat may have flicked it in from the flat roof nearby, But the next day there was another one. Do you think they run along the gutter and fall in or are they practicing the crawl ready for the Olympics?

27/06/2012 at 10:53

We might get lucky if they could learn how to swim.Golds all round

19/11/2012 at 18:52

Try gule traps in high rodent activity areas, most effectively in places where food sources are present. The glue traps might work better what ever your currently using.

19/11/2012 at 19:11
19/11/2012 at 21:50

Glue traps are incredibly cruel. I would rather have mice in the house than use a glue trap.

20/11/2012 at 08:13
As said before in the garden fine sheds, greenhouse no no I just had 2 in my loft keep us awake all night so loud I thought they were squirrels so got a squirrel trap only to find they were mice caught 2 had no more for 2 weeks know so guess for the time I was lucky before they breed
20/11/2012 at 12:49

mice are nice long as they don't come inside,if they do they will chew wiring ,eat your food  ,leave mustie smell and spread disease.In the garden they will eat your peas and beans or sun flower seeds that are left in your greenhouse or shed.As toT rapping them LIVE you will have to go along way to deter them coming back and there is always more.A cat will keep numbers down and keeping seed and bird food away from the house.

20/11/2012 at 12:55

The saga of moce in my house goes on. The cats brought in yet another one and then let it go. There was i on the floor trying to help catch it and then it disappeared. I stood up and then felt something warm moving inside my jeans. The mouse had gone up my trouser leg. Dont normally scream but i did then, the mouse even had time to do a pooh up there. Not something i wish to repeat

20/11/2012 at 13:50

i think field mice are great i watch them climbing up to the bird table taking the seed and running under the shed with it and my cat just sits there watching them the same with the squirrels i thought cats would at least chase them but oh no they get within a foot of him and he does nothing

1 to 20 of 24 messages