London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
11 messages
19/04/2013 at 14:41

Having been aware of hedgehogs in the garden and passing through, last year I made a hedgehog house out of two wineboxes and put it in a quiet corner, surrounded by some logs and under a small acer tree.  Last weekend I found my dog, trying to dig under the hog-house and getting very excited so I investigated and gently lifted the lid.  The box was full of leaves so obviously there was a nest, but I didn't disturb and replaced the lid, and made the area dog proof!  Since then I have put out semi-moist hedgehog food each night that has disappeared which confirms that I have a hedgehog in residence.  Quite excited at the success of the homemade hog-house.

19/04/2013 at 15:15

..wonderful... it's good to hear of people taking the trouble like that...   I had a hedgehog in my garden about 8 weeks ago, which surprised me, but not seen him since... I do hope he comes back again...

19/04/2013 at 15:17

How wonderful.  We used to have one but he/she has gone elsewhere or didn't make it through some heavy winters.  I'd love to have some more, they are so good to help get rid of slugs as well as being a charming additon to the garden. 

19/04/2013 at 16:02

Lesley, it's great to hear that you have hedgehogs and are looking after them well. I had four rescue boys last year but they only stayed for a few weeks and left for pastures new. Looking forward to hearing of their progress

19/04/2013 at 18:48
Nice one Less ,like me and gardening they need all the help they can get
good luck
Alan
19/04/2013 at 18:48

how fantastic lesly i have never seen a hedghog since i moved here yet i have a real wild flower garden im so jelous

19/04/2013 at 18:58

Lesley, that's great  

We had regular visits from several hedgehogs all last summer and we put food and fresh water out every evening which was consumed - they visited our garden in the early hours - sometimes we heard them snuffling about, and a few times we got up and went out with a torch and watched, trying not to disturb them.  

We bought and made some hog houses, and last winter two of our three hog houses were occupied - the hedgehogs are up and about now, from the amount of hoggy-poo on the lawn most mornings, and they are visiting the feeding stations and the water bowl.  

In a few weeks I'll clear out the old nests and put some fresh hay in each, just in case we get a pregnant sow looking for a quiet maternity ward 

19/04/2013 at 19:12

How lovely Lesley. I never saw any at the house I used to be in although I'm sure there were some there. Have you thought of doing a camera somewhere to see if you can get them on film?

Dove- you'll have time to be a midwife when you retire...are you thinking of retiring at all..?

19/04/2013 at 19:27

Funny you should say that Fairygirl - hadn't thought of it at all but my GP's been suggesting it for years -  so I told her today that I would   She thinks my BP might behave itself if I stop dashing around and trying to catch myself coming back 

19/04/2013 at 19:51

There are several families of hedgehogs on my site, and they are wonderful animals - really help to keep the slugs down.  As I run a camping site, I have found it necessary to educate a few people who stay here about what NOT to feed them with.  So many of them still think bread and milk is the right diet, and this is NOT the case.   In the colder weather, and in very dry seasons we put out dog food for them - always removing dishes as soon as they finish feeding to keep the rats away.

We have some good friends locally who run a hedgehog and wildlife rescue, and as the year comes to an end, we watch out for little hedgies that might be under weight.  These little ones have no hope of surviving the winter without a little help.

Our little porkers get quite tame and cheeky, always in and out of the campers awnings for fuss and titbits !!!

27/04/2013 at 12:16

I placed a Hogilo in my garden on Monday evening.  On Wednesday evening I saw a hedgehog coming out of it around 9pm and then ran across the patio to the bowl of chicken and turkey cat food in the feeding hutch.  Didn't take him (or her) long to take up residence!

email image
11 messages