London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
05/04/2014 at 21:30
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41618.jpg?width=350

Hi, my pond is a small preformed pond and has an abundance of aquatic creatures in it including lots of what can only be described as water wood lice Scurrying about on submerged rocks. 

However we only get passing frogs and have had none spawn even though there are shallows and cover for them. I thought we may have newts because my lily had folded leaves but have yet to see any. 

Hoping we get more creatures as the weather warms up. Has anyone got any tips on how we can attract newts and toads. I was really hoping we would have taddies in it this year  

There was one frog in it when I took this photo but the next day he had gone. 

05/04/2014 at 21:46

Importing frogspawn is the way a lot of people start. Not recommended for a pond with fancy expensive fish in case you import some organism you don't want. Excellent for a wildlife pond.

05/04/2014 at 21:51

Thanks for your reply. 

It is just a wildlife pond so I'm not going to be putting in any fish. There is a natural pond near by that I think might be attracting them more. 

05/04/2014 at 21:55

Keep an eye on the natural one and nick any taddies or spawn

There are lots of very interesting things in ponds. We got a microscope from Aldi, works with computer. Incredible sights through that.

05/04/2014 at 22:08
05/04/2014 at 22:12
Cheers, I'm going to go down to the natural pond tomorrow for a bit of pond dipping.
The plants are doing great, just need the frogs to stick around.
05/04/2014 at 22:13
Ps: the natural pond is just behind the garden.
05/04/2014 at 22:31

06/04/2014 at 07:26

And the thing to remember is that frogs and other amphibians don't spend all their lives in ponds - they pop in and out for spawning and to cool down on hot days etc, but often live quite some way away - we used to find them in the long damp grass around the fringes of our lawns before we ever had a pond here. 

06/04/2014 at 10:37
Hi and thanks for your reply Dove. That's a very good point and it makes sense that I shouldn't find them in the pond that much.
Well I'm off now to go pond dipping with my youngest son. Who knows what we will find?
06/04/2014 at 10:41

Enjoy   We plan to go pond dipping later to bring back some mini-beasts to live in our new pond 

06/04/2014 at 11:22
Hope you have fun too. We have found quite a few larvae of some sort that have just gone in the garden pond.
06/04/2014 at 15:28

I had a pond for a year, and nothing arrived, so I got a jar of tadpoles from a friends pond. Last year, one year on, I counted 13 frogs sitting around the pond on a warm day.  This year, two years on, and I've got frog spawn for the first time, and some have already hatched into tadpoles.  It's interesting watching the pond develop over time.  I don't think I'd get newts.  They won't be able to jump over the 6 foot high fences! 

06/04/2014 at 15:58

You'd be surprised what small gaps newts can wriggle under - when we had a smallholding we had a resident colony of Gt Cresteds - every winter some of them would somehow get under our back door and try to hibernate under our doormat - we usually found them after several people had wiped their feet and they were flat as pancakes (I didn't sweep under the door mat every day ).  

No wonder the poor things are on the endangered list.

06/04/2014 at 20:51
Well pond dipping was a waste of time- didn't find a thing, not even a worm lol. I've never seen the natural pond so quiet. No frogs either and it's raining here today. Maybe it's a bit early yet.
I don't know anyone around here with a pond so there's noone I can ask about pond stuff other than you guys. Thanks for your help.
06/04/2014 at 20:54
Cheshire has GC newts but I've never seen any. I have tried to attract them but to no avail.
06/04/2014 at 20:57
Is it normal for natural ponds to be quiet? We found larvae this morning in the river but nothing in the large pond nearby.
06/04/2014 at 21:02

Patience is the key.......as Dove says it is surprising what will turn up in your pond given a bit of time.  If the creatures are in your area , they will eventually find their way to your pond if it is wildlife friendly

06/04/2014 at 21:04

Worth bringing pond dipped water in for the microscopic life.

Dragonfly larvae and the like are often in the sediment at the bottom. Stinks a bit but soon settles.

If they're in the area GCNs may just move in given time. They did here

06/04/2014 at 21:17

Be patient and wildlife will turn up, it's still quite early in Spring for pond life, it's will be cooler in the water. Try not to introduce pond life from other ponds because you can spread viruses. : You can try looking in your pond at night with a torch and you might catch a glimpse of a male newt *dancing*.

1 to 20 of 21 messages