Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Neighbours not wildlife friendly

Hello,

I wondered if anyone else has a neighbour who is trigger happy with the shears and how you have dealt with it?  My neighbour is a nice guy but he doesn't like things that grow...a shame when you have an 80 foot garden.  He has only been in the house a year and didn't wait to see what the seasons were like before taking down 4 trees and a lovely honeysuckle.  There have been various birds that have nested in the trees the last few years and now it's all very bare.
He also hates ivy and insists on cutting at it whenever he can even though I try and tell him that robins have started nesting or that he could leave it for over wintering insects. 

I think he thinks I'm mad.  I know I should probably let him do what he wants but I wondered if anyone else has subtly 'trained' a neighbour into gardening more wildlife friendly?

Thanks

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I'm afraid I don't think its possible to force your beliefs on how a person should keep their garden on anyone.

• Hmm very helpful, cheers.  I wasn't suggesting I force anything on anyone...merely wondering how to helpfully point out that trees and shrubs do grow and that they are benficial to wildlife.  And that cutting things with shears at certain times of the year might actually harm wildlife.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Don't say anything - just lead by example image  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I'm afraid that some people are oblivious to the needs of wildlife and very ignorant about gardening and plants.   All you can do is show him by example.    Keep your garden looking good and wildlife firendly - but not too wild as most people detest the wild look and think it's all weeds and out of control - and maybe one day he'll twig.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks Dove and Obelixx, I think you are probably right.  Leading by example is the way to go.  He's often quite chatty in the garden so perhaps if he asks about anything I can tell him why I leave my teasel heads on over winter and don't rake the leaves from under the hedge etc 

• Hi Friend of Hog.

It does work. I explained to my neighbour why I had left a section of my lawn to grow up nice and tall for the wildlife. He then did the same in his front garden! (previously there was nothing but very short lawn and a conifer hedge). He even put some bird feeders out, and if he or his family find any wildlife they run over and tell me so I can go and have a look!...

Wondering I can convert the whole street now..

Good luck.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Maybe take a few pictures of the wildlife in your garden and show them to neighbour ( might have to be in the Spring when chatting outside is more likely) say it is your hobby, and also say how few slugs / snails you have due to them...a little white lie won't hurt image 

• Hi, you could try sowing and growing a few extra wildlife friendly annuals, that don't look like, 'weeds' and give him some to plant in his garden.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Good idea Mark image

• As I understand it, disturbing nesting birds is an offence (if this applies to your situation) - obviously you can't tell him that bluntly but maybe you can work it in somewhere.....