6 messages
12/06/2013 at 13:54

Following the successful fledging of chicks from my blue tit nest box over the weekend, Id like to install a camera inside for next year.

Can anyone recommend a suitable camera for fitting inside an existing nest box please?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps16d4c2ba.jpg

12/06/2013 at 15:48

That's a great idea Lf. 

12/06/2013 at 17:22

Have you looked at Wildlife Kate's website? She has lots of cameras and i think she may also sell them . I would also love one but i think they are a bit pricey. Still waiting for blue tits to fledge think it will be any time now 

12/06/2013 at 18:25

My old £15 Logitech webcam would have done just fine, I reckon. It didn't see in the dark, but it got some good close-ups and could take video as well as stills. The bigger issue would be the housing for it. You've got to get power in there somehow, and keep it dry.

My approach would be to build my own box (because when I buy them from a website they get destroyed by a breeze but the ones I build for myself can survive a 15ft fall and put a dent in the field) with extra space above the entrance hole, and put the camera in a clear plastic housing in the top space, with a USB lead through a neat little hole in the bottom of the plastic housing and the back of the box, then mount it on the house wall and feed the cable up into the loft behind the barge boards. You'll need a powered hub if it's not close to the computer.

12/06/2013 at 18:35

I bought a ready made one from Aldi for £35. I took down my old successful box and replaced it with the new one. 7 blue tits fledged 2 weeks ago and have provided a lot of entertainment for the whole family.

15/06/2013 at 23:51

i had some bluetits in the nest box that i have in the tree at the end on my garden,i think the birds have gone because i can not see any blue tits going in to the box,but i love watching the birs in my gardenand i have other wildlife come in to my garden,quite a few months a go i had a hunney bees nest hangng in one of the trees out on the road where i live,

email image
6 messages