London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
23/04/2013 at 18:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22499.jpg?width=285&height=350&mode=max

Hi thought you might like to see this black bird nesting in my shed

its nest is so round and neat. can't wait to see chicks.

23/04/2013 at 19:03

..I wish I could enlarge it, but she looks happy... I wonder how she gets in and out the shed, I mean what exit?  I broken window or somesuch...?

23/04/2013 at 19:07

They're great fun to watch - I had one in a pot plant a few years ago.

The chicks take a good while to hatch, so you'll have them for about 3-4 weeks. Enjoy!

23/04/2013 at 19:35

Lovely Aliesh! Will be great to see the chicks. 

23/04/2013 at 19:41

What a sweet picture

23/04/2013 at 22:07

My Blackbirds are nesting for second year at my garden. I can see the nest inside the ivy but its well situated. Mr Blackbird is omnipresent with mouthfuls of grubs, Mrs Blackbird makes random appearances to stretch her legs.

23/04/2013 at 22:23

how lovely she looks very proud of herself!

23/04/2013 at 22:30

For the first time to my knowledge, I have a blackbird in my garden.  Arrived yesterday and didn't turn a feather when I walked down the garden today.  Just carried on with what 'it' was doing.  Know nothing about birds and wonder whether you could tell me where it may be nesting.  What sort of habitat would it go for? Sorry if that sounds daft. I'm an ignoramous.

23/04/2013 at 22:41
What a lovely picture Aliesh, you must be so proud to have these blackbirds nest in your shed. I saw a pair on my lawn yesterday morning, the female was chasing off the male blackbird, just like she was saying.. get away I am having my breakfast. So cute.
24/04/2013 at 07:44

Tina as you can see from Aliesh's pic they don't need hedges or shrubs to nest! They don't nest too high up either but usually in hedges or big shrubs. The eggs are quite small, pale blue/green and mottled. If you have borders with bark on them you'll often find the bark scattered around cos they like digging about for worms. The males are the black ones with orange/yellow beak and females are brown and speckled as you can tell from Aliesh's pic.

They're just beautiful.

Just call me Bill Oddie...or maybe not 

24/04/2013 at 08:23

Tina, if you can find time to just sit and watch for a while (any excuse, I say!) you'll notice the birds carrying things in their beaks and heading in a certain direction or, if you're lucky, to a particular place.
Because the weather has been so awful I had hardly been outside so didn't spot the nest building activity; it was only when I kept seeing a male blackbird constantly picking up food and heading for my camellia bush that I realised there was a nest. They fledged last week and Mrs B. appears to be sitting in the nest again so there may even be a second brood on the way

24/04/2013 at 09:45

Thanks Fairy and Flobear. Told you I was thick.  Now I know it was a male bird and he was obviously collecting food.  I'm sure I can find time to sit and watch. Would be really interested to see just where the nest is so I can make sure the cats keep away. 

I just found it amazing how 'tame' he was as he took no notice of me at all.  Perhaps his quest for food was greater than his fear of me.

24/04/2013 at 17:00

Tina, don't say that   Not knowing about something and then taking the trouble to ask and find out is the way we all start.
My Mr B is fearless too when I'm digging and he has a mission to collect food. Luckily I'm a doggy household so cats tend to keep away - though my two young dogs had to be shut out of the garden for a day when the baby blackbirds were on the ground behind the berberis.

24/04/2013 at 17:16

Tina -sitting watching them is vital...that's my excuse anyway 

If you get a little bird book you'll be amazed how many species visit your garden and it's great fun watching them and getting to know their habits. Much better than the telly!

24/04/2013 at 18:12

Was doing the edge this afternoon and there he was again.  Watched as he pecked at the ground for a while then I'm sure, wifey was calling him.  Would that be right?  He flew into next door but one's garden and disappeared.  So am now assuming the nest is there.

Unfortunately, we don't get any small birds any more.  Just been reading about Magpies and am beginning to wonder whether they are the reason the small birds have disappeared.  Didn't realise they were such predators. Have been blaming the pigeons.

Think I may have found a hobby, other than sitting on my b..

24/04/2013 at 19:52

Yep, better than the TV, any day of the week! Haven't had the blackbird creche in the garden for a few years now, but had succesive years of enjoyment watching chicks (which are almost the same size as the adults) finding their feet...er wings.

They do get very used to you, & have often had the male begging at the back door; seemed to particularly enjoy raisins if memory serves me well. Nesting sometimes seems downright suicidal, as I once had a nest of 4 chicks on a small garden lamp, sited just above my head... probably helped incubate the eggs!

25/04/2013 at 06:01

we have a wall about fifteen foot high that runs the length of the garden at work and on the top amongst the wisteria there is a nesting duck the pair go off on walks now and again they look so sweet.They have done the same for years apparantly cant wait for babies wondering how on earth they will get down though ..safely i hope

25/04/2013 at 10:26

Muddy mare, have you ever seen that clip on one of David Attenborough's very old programmes where the tiny ducks leap out of a very high nest and sort of bounce when they land? Very alarming but I suppose they are so light that they don't come to any harm.

And, joy of joys, mummy blackbird is definitely sitting right down on the nest with just her eyes and beak showing

25/04/2013 at 18:33

flo bear I do recall the attenbourgh series and yes they so fluffy and light they would just bounceoooh looks like mum blackbird hatching again keep us informred exciting isnt it

25/04/2013 at 20:23
TinaTurner wrote (see)

Was doing the edge this afternoon and there he was again.  Watched as he pecked at the ground for a while then I'm sure, wifey was calling him.  Would that be right?  He flew into next door but one's garden and disappeared.  So am now assuming the nest is there.

Yep that's right. The female blackbird will do a chuck-chuck-chuck sound that is calling for her mate. They are territorial birds, the male marking his domain that can cover several urban gardens.  

Last year I saw a Magpie with his head right inside a blackbird nest in a neighbourly garden and the female was squawking in defence of her eggs/chicks whilst the male could do no more than trot up and down on the lawn trying desperately to mark his territory. It was sad but nature's way I suppose.

1 to 20 of 34 messages