London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
5 messages
28/04/2013 at 09:28

Hi, 

I have recently moved house, And after many years of living with no garden, I have been fortunate to have acquired a medium sized garden. The garden has a few tall fir trees birches, hedgerows, old shed and best of all a small woodland area which I have sown wild flower seeds on.( It's now a carpet of beautiful blue forget me nots which arrived when we did )and today I could see young shoots springing up. I've put a bee hotel near by so hoping to see solitary bees. ( it's yet to see a tenant) 

I also have aquired from the move an old stone bird bath,which due to drainage holes, I am using as a bird feeding station. I have also put out logs and a medium flower post underneith with a small door. I really would like to have hedgehogs visit us and I don't know at this stage if we have any resident hoggies round here. ( been here a month now) 

In the near future we are siting a small pond at the back ( preformed) 

Is there anything I else I could do to help our wildlife?

I can't wait to sit out in it once this cold snap leaves! 

Thx 

28/04/2013 at 11:41

Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job regarding the wildlife jody, if I was a little bumble bee, bird, butterfly, hedgehog......I would certainly come  and visit your garden and might even stay! 

28/04/2013 at 17:38

I have these two books which I find very helpful..........they come in a little box and are sold as one package.  After having said that you may get more info on the Internet looking up wildlife gardens and bees.....Sarah Raven is very good.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22770.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

ISBN 13: 978-0-7548-2455-8

ISBN 10: 0-7548-2455-1

think the publisher is LB, doesn't say who the writers are.  Anyway there is alot of info out there, I think Alan Titchmarsh may have some books on it, anyway best of luck jody.

28/04/2013 at 18:29

Thank you Flower bird,

ive really enjoyed searching the web for helpful articles on wildlife. Today I sited my preformed pond and I'm now hoping it will attract some amphibians into the garden. I'm a complete novice at this gardening hobby so the web has been extremely useful

I now find that I'm spending more time watching my garden than the telly! Lol. 

28/04/2013 at 18:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22777.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Our little wildlife pond. We didnt want it too big as we have 7 and 10 year olds. They have had a ball helping dig it out. In  the picture it looks close to trees but they are in the back ground and are also evergreens so they don't over shadow the pond. It's in a shaded/ sunny spot so hopefully it will be ok. Im a beginner at this so I guess I just sit back and wait for any new residents now. 

Excuse the bad picture ( taken indoors during the rain) 

email image
5 messages