London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
12 messages
31/08/2012 at 21:30

i have already posted this on thread 'Brambles' however I do need help.

When clearing an area of garden to prepare a rhubarb bed I moved some builders blue plastic sheet and, as well as a couple of large slugs, found 4, maybe 6, newts underneath it. As they will need to be rehomed I need to know how to attempt this and the best area to put them in. There is no water in the garden or in neighbouring ones. I am a novice with this sort of creature

31/08/2012 at 21:36

They like it cool and damp and undisturbed - that's why they were under the builder's bag. If you have a shed you could put them under that and even leave the bulider's bag under it too. If you have a wild area or an untidy area (maybe where you have a compost bin) you could put them there. They will move on if they don't like it but they are useful in the garden. They hibernate under old paving stones in an undisturbed area of my garden.

31/08/2012 at 21:58

Hello bjay, what a fantastic find. I don't know much about newts. I do know that there numbers have been decreasing.Good for you that you want to do the right thing I also know that amphibians are extremely inportant in the food chain.

I had a quick look and it would seem that all the UK species are protected by law- the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.

wildlifegardener.co.uk- gives some really good advice and a place for you to start. I am sure that some some local wildlife groups would be of help.

If it were me I would cover them back over until I worked out how they could be moved.

31/08/2012 at 22:23
WOW!!! I WISH I WAS THAT LUCKY, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NEWTS,HE PLENTY OF FROGS,SO LIKE YOU , I SHALL BE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD WITH GREAT INTEREST.
01/09/2012 at 07:07

The great crested newts where I used to live kept trying to hibernate under the doormats in our porch!  They tended to get squashed when visitors came to the door - silly things, if only they'd known how rare they are they'd have taken more care about where they hibernated  Not very bright, newts. 

01/09/2012 at 10:30

Thanks for web site -no pictures though- however went onto Google images and found they are smooth or common newts. Handle with damp hands. still don't know why they were in my garden - no water. Still we have had rather a damp summer. Now going out to dampen area as disturbance yesterday before i found them has left their plastic a bit exposed.

02/09/2012 at 00:03

Newts spend little time in water, only during the breeding season.  Just move them out of harm's way.  Good suggestions up-thread.  Just put them by a clump of plants, a rockery or old wall.

Unless they are a rare variety they can be found virtually anywhere. 

10/09/2012 at 20:05

I too have discovered newts in my garden as i was doing work. I ended up sort of working round them....and unfinished area around my pond and a patch of wild long grass in a corner was  the result but I can live with it knowing little creatures are living there. I did have to pick one up and gently place it behind some plants/stones as it was in such an awkward place and my cat was present when i uncovered it accidently. Heres a pic of one near my pond area

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11545.jpg?width=246&height=350&mode=max

10/09/2012 at 20:28

Hi kitiekat, fantastic picture, they look like little lizards. I haven't seen a newt and would be delighted to see one in the garden. 

11/09/2012 at 13:47

Hi

Unfortunately my cluster of newts have gone. (cluster sounded like a good collective noun for them) I went out armed with camera etc but I guess I disturbed them too much when i found them. Near the area I was clearing is a wood pile and some old shelving. They could well have gone ther so I am not doing anything to that patch.

I did learn that when you touch them it is best to have damp hands

What a great photo

11/09/2012 at 15:25

bjay, it sounds as if they sensibly and helpfully moved to another spot so you now have now excuse for not getting on with your rhubarb bed!!  ;- )

11/09/2012 at 17:28

Ha yes Flobear - back to digging!

email image
12 messages