London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
17 messages
27/06/2012 at 20:36

I've been hand weeding all day and I haven't seen one single ladybird - nor any larvae.  What's happened to them all? 

I was amazed at the amount of ants there are out there.  Also the greenfly and blackfly population has expanded on last year.  Even my rhubarb spray can't cope. 

Haven't seen any lacewings either.

27/06/2012 at 21:40

I have 7 spot Ladybirds but I have'nt had any Butterflies at all,  and the bees are few and far between.   I keep finding the Ladybirds on the ground so I do tend to stop and pick them up and put them on the nearest plant,  folk going past me must think I'm mad,  I don't care we need them.

27/06/2012 at 22:43
Have seen a few ladybirds but not many. Had a couple of butterfles flitting around today and have loads of bees.
27/06/2012 at 23:55
I had loads during the warm spell in march, but hardly any now. Guess they didn't like the wet...
28/06/2012 at 07:11

Still have plenty of ladybirds but not seen any larvae - probably not looking hard enough!  This year the aphids are HUGE but mostly they've not been a real problem so something's chomping them.  Very few hoverflies but plenty of bees and since spring I think I've only seen 2 butterflies .

28/06/2012 at 08:27

i to saw lots in the warm weather bu tnot of late.. loads of bees and ants.. not many butterflies since warm weather either..

lots of aphids thou.. so am out with the washing up water today and spraying the little devils..

28/06/2012 at 08:33

I dont remember the last time I saw a ladybird. Not in the last couple of years

28/06/2012 at 09:31

I caught glimpses of ladybirds quite early in the year and rescued a larvae from my bathroom floor of all places, but none recently, although the black-fly is not a problem as yet.

I have plenty of bees in my garden, especially around the large flowering shrubs such as my Photinia davidii, they go nuts for that every year, although my parent's apple tree and their neighbour's has no apples this year, which they believe is because  there were no bees to pollinate it?

As for butterflies, I've only seen the the odd one so far this year, but I'm hoping to see more with the later flowering shrubs and perennials. 

28/06/2012 at 10:41

That's really strange.  We have loads of butterflies and the bee numbers seem down a bit.  Lots of the big black ones but fewer of the smaller brown ones (don't ask me names). 

We also had a very hot spell after 3 weeks of snow and then a massive frost which nuked so much.  No plums, pears or cherries this year and lots of shrubs killed off or maimed for life.  I guess the ladybirds went the same way.

I've a large patch of nettles which I let be for the butterflies - maybe that helps.  Unfortunately, lots of cabbage whites too.  I was on my veggie plot yesterday with my bucket, weeding tool and fly swat as I had to take off the covering on the brassicas.  I even put some cabbage leaves out on the grass as a decoy but those little pests tried really hard to lay their eggs near me.  Didn't manage it though.....

28/06/2012 at 12:45

I've found the odd ladybird,and seen the odd butterfly up to yet.Also i've noticed the lack of Hoverflys,got a bit of a soft spot for these guys.

28/06/2012 at 22:41
@wintersong, I have no apples forming here either. I thought it was probably because the blossom got blown off so quickly?
29/06/2012 at 13:48
Rob Stevens wrote (see)
@wintersong, I have no apples forming here either. I thought it was probably because the blossom got blown off so quickly?

I think you could be right there Rob as I have no Pears or Plums as they were blown to bits early in the year

05/07/2012 at 09:52

Ladybirds & butterflies must have packed up and moved to Leeds, loads of everything up here in our local woods and lots of ladybirds and bees in the garden too ??????

06/07/2012 at 14:31

I did yesterday catch a glimpse of 2 small brown butterflies probably of the Fritillary family but as it's wings were closed I cant say which one it was so was hopefull that there could be more on the way but I think now that this horrid weather has put paid to that 

06/07/2012 at 14:58
Its like a Monsoon today in leeds and lots of flash flooding about
06/07/2012 at 15:03

Its much the same in Clogherhead North Leinster ROI

07/07/2012 at 07:56

I think that their apparent absence is mainly due to the poor weather. We had a nice day on Thursday, and there were both butterflies and ladybirds about.

A ladybird actually settled on my hand while I was in the garden. I walked back to the house to get my camera, with the ladybird still walking about on my hand, and then back outside to take this snap (which I manged to take using one hand)...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/ladybird-1.jpg

email image
17 messages