London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
18 messages
26/02/2014 at 12:45

Hi, trying to find bird seed that doesn't contain any nuts or traces of nuts.  Starting a garden for the children I work with and one or two do have nut allergies.  I don't seem to be able to find anything.  I'm hoping that someone on this forum can help me out. Thank you

26/02/2014 at 12:50

I find that sunflower hearts attract lots of different birds - would they be ok?

Edd
26/02/2014 at 13:12

Hello Tracey.

It is a big problem these days getting bird food that does not have nut warnings on the side of the packet. They tend to process different food stuff in the same factory so all the products may contain traces of nuts.

You can always try the health food shops and mix your own combination but i can imagine that this will get very expensive.

You also have to be careful as nut warnings on packets are still only voluntary and do not have to be put on!!!!!

I have just found this on Amazon.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2F20KG-SACK-SUPERIOR-FREE-BIRD%2Fdp%2FB000PWG6N8&ei=MukNU6D2Msuf7Ab844D4DA&usg=AFQjCNGvwQ_ifziV_NKB3a1h-_c18YXkYQ

Edd
26/02/2014 at 13:26

Nut free bird cookies ( they can be frozen)

http://redwhiteandgrew.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/kcrouchbirdcookiefinal.jpg?w=500

Ingredients

2 cups lard
2 cups No Nuts Butter (This is a Canadian company.)
1/2 cup nyjer and black sunflower seed (“Finch Feast“)
1/4 cup dried fruit, cranberries or raisins
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour

Method

Place 26 cupcake liners on a tray or in cupcake pans. Melt lard and No Nuts Butter over low heat until completely melted. While lard is melting, mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add melted lard and No Nuts Butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Immediately ladle batter into cupcake holders, filling then 2/3 full. Place in refrigerator for 5 minutes. Remove and poke a hole in each bird cookie using a chopstick. This must be done before the cookies are too hard. When it’s time hang the cookies outside in a tree, thread a piece of ribbon or string through the hole and tie to branch. The bird seed cookies can be frozen until needed.

Not sure what the website was that i pinched this from. Sorry.

26/02/2014 at 16:00

Thank you for your responses. Had a look at the website, problem solved  The nut free cookies will be fun for the children to make as well.

Thank you so much.

26/02/2014 at 16:01

What about sunflower and niger seed that comes in its own pack? With gardening gloves issues to all children to try and avoid any potential contamination.

Edd
26/02/2014 at 16:05
26/02/2014 at 18:13

I just feed sunflower hearts bought in a large sack from the local feed store and a big sack of niger seed bought on line. Since all the Starlings seemed to have vanished from the Fens over the last 3 years, the fat balls that i make with linseed or buy are never eaten.

27/02/2014 at 09:03

Hey, it looks like a nut free thread too. I use lard and seed, the starlings can't get enough. My neighbour puts out kibbled suet and steals all the birds.

27/02/2014 at 11:07

thanks for posting this, my girls are coeliac, so can't handle a lot of bird food that has any kind of wheat, rye oats in.  Have been trying to think about what we could do for them, that wont leave a load of mess in the garden. 

27/02/2014 at 11:36

Maybe try live or frozen/chilled mealworms most birds love them and you can at least guarantee it does not have any traces of nuts

http://www.livingwithbirds.com/birdfoods/live-foods/

http://www.haiths.com/bird-food/live-food/

27/02/2014 at 11:42

Peanuts, I only use Sunflower and niger seed now. I got really tired of all the mess. I get no mess at all now. I can still make my lard cakes with them.

27/02/2014 at 12:31
Jim Macd wrote (see)

Hey, it looks like a nut free thread too.

No. I'm here Jim

27/02/2014 at 14:13

Yeah!

Edd
27/02/2014 at 14:49

Hello again Tracy. 

Before i moved here, i grew my own own mealworms in a tupperware box, about one foot sq, on top of the freezer ( inside). The little one loved to see the whole life cycle of insects and i loved it too. I still have the information, if you want it. It was a trial and error thing but we had mealworms for the birds!! and that was the intention.

The only cost was bran flakes and you can get them in bulk, cheap!  Definitely worth considering as the kids love it.

Result all round.

Regards

Edd

27/02/2014 at 15:14

Ooh, that would put me off bran flakes for life.  But I'm a buddhist so that's not an option for me.

27/02/2014 at 15:16

I'm not sure I'd want them in the kitchen. Would the little icebox at the top of the shed fridge be good enough?

Post the instructions Edd, I'm interested

27/02/2014 at 15:28

I don't think they'd be the big one's nut, I read they're super, beafed up ones. I grew quite a lot my accident once. In my bread rasing baskets that got forgotten asbout. I did  'set them free' in the garden though.

email image
18 messages