London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 59 messages
26/11/2012 at 10:55

Seen a couple of Long-tialed Tits today. I love their antics but they didn't stay long. At least they have found the garden so hopefully they'll be back with their mats

26/11/2012 at 17:16

Better table manners than the Goldfinches then, Bjay.

26/11/2012 at 17:24

And their bibs!

30/11/2012 at 12:24

just heard in the garden that clacking sound of the red wings they have arrived! I also saw in the churchyard a group of Jays sitting on  a tree,they are so colourful and normally they are quite shy but I got a close view today.

30/11/2012 at 12:29

Rose,

I think it's the Fieldfares who make the clacking noise.

30/11/2012 at 15:00

ah! well they must be in the area!

06/12/2012 at 08:59

I,ve been really lucky this year, we have long tailed tits, coal tits, goldfinches, greenfinches, even had a bullfinch earlier in the year.  We have an abundance of starlings which I  have to say I have welcomed since reading here they are becoming endangered, but yesterday there was a redwing in the hawthorne tree .  The gardens been a hive of activity I could watch them all day with their funny antics.

06/12/2012 at 10:43

The blackbirds were pretty much absent from my garden all year, but suddenly this week they have all arrived, and I can also see lots of them eating my neighbours fallen apples too.  I have lots of great tits and blue tits so I'll be very careful with this avian pox - luckily I have the ring-pull feeders which come completely apart and can be washed in the dishwasher so I will up that from once a month to once every other week.  I've had loads of goldfinch this year but only a couple remain, and even a male and female green finch with one fledgling, which I was really happy about as they nearly died out in the last couple of years with a greenfinch specific disease.  As for the starlings - they are certainly not in trouble here in Lincolnshire - I get 50 or 60 of them in my garden all day at the moment and I find them a complete pest to be honest in terms of eating all the food I put out for the other birds and covering my small garden in starling droppings  It is a small consolation that I am helping a declining species, but I do hope they migrate this week!

06/12/2012 at 13:31

Blackbirds have returned to my garden this week as well. I am going to attempt to put out a feeder I saw on another thread for them covering seeds with  up-turned wire hanging basket to stop the wood pigeons. We have also seen a little wren, but as she was feeding in a different place I will put out some for her. Does anyone know if they will eat mealworms?

06/12/2012 at 13:51

Blackbirds will definitely love the mealworms, and suet granules which I noticed that they are now selling in supermarkets.  So will the robins.  Not sure about the wren.  

16/12/2012 at 10:54

I saw on the common during the break in cold spell, a group of starlings having a lovely time in a deep puddle,they looked like they were really enjoying it,cold I would of thought but they must of longed to get rid of those mites.

17/12/2012 at 21:49

Around 12 long tailed tits flew into the garden yesterday afternoon and all piled on to the fat ball feeder.  They stayed for around 10 minutes, had a good scoff and off they all went.  Fabulous - glad I happened to be looking out of the window at the right time.

18/12/2012 at 11:41

Nadolig,

The chances are that this family of LT Tits will have a regular round during the winter, so I'm sure you'll see them again.

18/12/2012 at 21:07

Hope so Joe - will keep my camera handy

30/12/2012 at 19:40

mym um has had red caps on her feeders in a pretty built up housing estate in bristol(north common).

along with black birds, starlings, tits, chaffinches, robins squirrels and pigeons.

i live in bristol too in a garden that has no tree's bushes shrubs and such like, just pebbles and 2 small patio's. we only moved in this year but am hoping to get more done and attract some birds. there are plenty around i think its just a case of attracting them to the garden. any advice fellow bird lovers?

30/12/2012 at 19:50

You could invest in a free-standing bird table and hang fat ball feeders from it. We.ve done that on the patio and it's positioned near the kitchen window so we get a good view. The only problem we have with ours is a large squirrel who sometimes sits in the middle of it and helps himself.

If you have fencing , you could attatch small brackets to it and hang the feeders from them. I also throw a handful on the patio for the ground feeders.

Been reading that the waxwings are on their way.

30/12/2012 at 20:39

i feed all the bird the same sunflower hearts, niger seed, fat peckers , mealworms and suet blocks get loads of tits, finches, robin, thrush, wren, pair of collard doves, starlings and even a pheasant for a week last spring.  ours is a tiny garden and it has taken them some time to get used to there being lots of food mayb 3 years?  I use seed feeders and hanging tables in trees and on pergola great interest and hours of fun for them and me

31/12/2012 at 18:12

I have noticed that there is something in the air,birdsong is taking off again and I hear the blackbirds again and the wren has re-appeared seems to be a spring feel,or am I just dreaming and wishing for spring!

02/01/2013 at 21:06

Gnome,

We had a nice flock of 60 Waxwings here on Christmas Eve. Watched from as close as eight feet. Fantastic birds.

02/01/2013 at 21:12

Flowering Rose - today I also noticed that the birds are certainly getting noisier.  The blackbird was still singing around 5.30 pm.

21 to 40 of 59 messages