London (change)
Sat 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 59 messages
20/11/2012 at 15:56

I was walking in Somerset the other day with our dogs along the Marie curie walk at Babcary,a delightful place to come and walk any time of year.The paths and fields as you might well guess were water logged and so boots were essential.I could hear not far in front of us that clacking sound Red Wings make,looking up into the trees there was a flock of Field fares and Red Wings .They flew  from tree to tree as we walked along and you could clearly make out that red spot under their wing.The field fares were less obvious.Also there was a big flock of starlings flying around in circles not quite the spectacular display they do at dusk.I know the redwings and fieldfares will be on thier way to my berry bushs soon and I cant wait to see them at close quaters on my holly tree

20/11/2012 at 15:59

Hope they fly across the water to Swansea too. Didn't see any last winter but had quite a few the year before.

20/11/2012 at 17:06

They're in for a big disappointment when they get here (Devon). Our holly tree usually keeps them pecking away for several weeks, but this year it's devoid of berries - the few that did appear have been gobbled up by blackbirds.

Are others having good crops of holly berries or is this a local thing?

20/11/2012 at 17:13

We had Fieldfares for the first time here in WManchester last yr. No chance to run for a camera, just stood & enjoyed watching them in the trees behind the garden.

My one holly tree still has some of last yrs berries remaining, they just didnt get taken last yr, for some reason. So far havent noticed any on my other, older tree, but all of last yrs went very quickly. J.

20/11/2012 at 17:30

How I would love a visit from these birds - and Dorset is only next door to Somerset! However, a distinct lack of berries all round - pyracanthas, rowans, hollies, cotoneasters all had very few and now they are mostly gone :- (

20/11/2012 at 18:29

flowering rose. I am so pleased that you have seen starlings; normally they squabble over the fat balls all summer in the garden, but have only seen one this year! I just don't know what can have happened to them as they are usually so abundant.

21/11/2012 at 10:29

I miss the arrival of the redwings - old house. It was always a competition to see if we could get the Christmas holly in before they devastated the tree

We have had 4 starlings this year greedily gobbling through all the fat I put out. I was surprise d as I thought they migrate, loads of little birds.Strangely very few blackbirds. I was wondering if it was something to do with the wet and the fact that they tend to be ground feeders

21/11/2012 at 12:43

Bjay, I've had plenty of Blackbirds here in the Fens, I think they are such brilliant musicians.

21/11/2012 at 12:55

I'm pleased to report a lot of blackbirds in our garden after a long absence but haven't seen any fieldfares or redwings yet . Next door has a huge cotoneaster laden with berries so hoping to see some soon.

During the bad winter in 2010 we were lucky to have a colony of waxwings that stayed with us for weeks. Beautiful birds. I'ld love to see them again.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15944.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

21/11/2012 at 13:06

not many starlings back home here in the city,I think I have only seen 2.Blackbirds seem to have decreased or are they hiding?As for the waxwing ,what a treat to see.

21/11/2012 at 14:10

Lovely photo Jean - I've never seen a waxwing.  Plenty of starlings have arrived within the last week and we have a few blackbirds who get very annoyed with each other.  I have been buying them cheap "own brand" pears from the supermarket which they go crazy over.  Even though senior blackbird was full he still stood guard over it so nothing else could have it.  Could watch them for hours

21/11/2012 at 15:20

Waxwings are on the way!

22/11/2012 at 13:04

i have never seen either of these birds in my part of liverpool, but would love to, i to have plenty of blackbirds gaurding the food from other birds, the poor little dunnock doesnt stand a chance

22/11/2012 at 15:38

been for wind swept boggy walk on the common and yes! the starlings have arrived,all chatting in the trees.Hurry up Red Wings and field fares!

On another note I see in the paper birds have been infected with some kind of virus especially great tits.

22/11/2012 at 15:42

Yes Rose, I saw that too.  Good hygeine around bird feeders seems the best thing we can all do (I know most of us here do this anyway).

22/11/2012 at 21:09

I get blue and great tits in the garden; but I haven't fed peanuts for many years ever since I heard that they can have a mould that causes the birds to die.

23/11/2012 at 07:55

I saw the thing about the new disease, which was referred to "avian pox". Can't think why they didn't call it "tit pox"! (Will this post be censored, thus proving my point?)

23/11/2012 at 13:41

What alovely photo of a waxwing. I have never seen one either.. Finally saw a Mr & Mrs Blackbird hopping about and tossing the leaves this morning so perhaps they will come back.

I bought somr dried mealworms the other day never bought them before. Any Good?

Will put some out after a cup of tea.

23/11/2012 at 18:45

Artjac, Oh please start feeding the birds again. I am sure any mould only refers to peanuts which have been left in poor condition over a period of time. Freshly bought ones should be fine. I hope other bird lovers will agree with me!

24/11/2012 at 11:53

Too true,I have to change the food supply ever so often as they get mouldy.Sometimes the birds do not bother with the feeding stations as after the mad frenzy in summer they seem to take a break.

1 to 20 of 59 messages