Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Photos of your ponds please

Im making a new wildlife pond this year and for inspiration I wondered if any of you could post photos of your ponds please? It doesnt matter if yours isn't a wildlife pond, any natural(isn) looking pond photos would be great..

So far, I'm greatly inspired by the photo of this amazing looking pond below, which was posted here recently (sorry, can't remember by whoimage) which I simply love. Any photos will be greatly appreciatedimage

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/4C6C5453-32E0-4A03-85B6-1A26BC1A7682-193-00000006F21926A7_zps2a81e340.jpg

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...quite a nice small pond but I find it lacks charm... due to the surrounding high fence and messy plants, although that may improve in time.... the fence does detract though for me..... not a patch on Fairygirl's photo of a few days ago....in my opinion...

...and I'm afraid that 'Herman Munster' lookalike would just have to go.... sorry..image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That pond has its attractions LF but it's not a wildlife pond. More plants and less hard stuff required for that.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

LF -  I remember the pond from a previous thread but can't remember who built it. He was giving some assistance to someone else who was planning a pond, and was talking about the lovely paddlestones he'd used. It would be great to see an update this year as I'm sure he'll have put a lot more planting in an  around it.

I'd hoped to put a small pond in here, but I may have just a container style one as I don't think I'll be here very long.  I'll look forward to seeing yours LF. It's a great feature to have, whatever size it is image

I can't take any real credit for the pond at my old house - it had been there for over twenty years. It was so badly neglected that it was in danger of needing total renovation, and a lot of money spent on it, if it had been left much longer, so most of our input was clearance. My entire garden front and back gardens here would have fitted into it! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I like Delabole slate very much... I used to have a clock made out of it...

actually that little pond above is really quite nice, despite my tongue in cheek comments earlier... I wouldn't mind one like that... probably not too difficult to maintain I imagine...

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

You could always make two Verd - one of each! image

To be honest, in this present garden, a formal, geometric pond would look best, but I'd still like to work a small wildlife one in somewhere, or a bog garden if I can't manage a pond.

This was the second pond at old house. The big pond fed into into it along a little rill - the gravelled area, bottom left of pic - and ran out at the far end via another rill and out onto the grass verge. There were flag Irises and Marsh marigolds, already there and we added a corkscrew rush and a water lily. We had lots of dragonflies, pond skaters and frogs etc in it. It was so overgrown when we moved in that my ex didn't know there was a pond there!

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P1170711_zps3517c8cb.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hi LeadFarmer,

Good luck in your search for pond images and inspiration – I completely get that. I searched for a couple of years before I finally felt brave enough to put my pond liner down last October and can’t wait to get plants in there.

My tip would be to think about how you want your edges to be. My site was a tricky one – it would have been so much easier had I just dug a hole in a flat lawn. Different views from around my pond was what I wanted and reflections became a big part of that. I changed my mind so many times but in the end I found I went back to my original ideas and have only a small wildlife hotel to finish in a retaining 'wall'. Trust your first instincts image

• I like the way the rocks overlap the edges on this pond, a great way to hide the liner too. (not my pond.)

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Thanks so far. Hiding the liner is one of my priorities, as well as making it look natural. But I do love the pond in my first post, I wish I could find which member it belongs to.