London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
5 messages
26/02/2014 at 11:22

I'm not sure whether this is the right place - but here goes ! At the back of our small field we have an area of approx. 40' x 20' that has 6 poplar trees growing (there are more poplars running along the boundary a few feet behind this. Previous owners had planted Christmas Tree saplings under these 6 poplars, but these had rapidly got far too tall and we have now grubbed out the last few. We would like to replant something under the poplars to make a bit of a screen/windbreak amongst the poplar trunks, but wouldn't want anything taller than around 4/5 feet tall and must be capable of growing under these trees. It's a fairly windy location in good light apart from the poplars. The area will be left to grow fairly wild as at one side we have a massive wood pile left for animals/insects etc. Any suggestions ?? Thank you

26/02/2014 at 14:37

How about Sea Buckthorn? You'll need to dig in organic matter when you plant for best results but it will do well and will provide berries for the birds and you if you like.

26/02/2014 at 15:02

Hi Daisy, I'd never heard of Sea Buckthorn so just googled it and a site came up doing delivery for £1 (code 1QUID) www.crowders.co.uk  not advertising, just thought you might like to take a look.

26/02/2014 at 15:59

Aucuba japonica will cope with most situations and will make a dense hedge. I like the variegated variety, but i know many people hate it.

Various Berberis would also cope I think.

26/02/2014 at 19:24

Thank you all for the suggestions ! The Sea Buckthorn looks interesting, but we really don't want anything prickly, I'm afraid. The Aucuba japonica looks very interesting so I'll try to see if they have it at our local gardening centres to get a better look. Thanks again for the suggestions.

email image
5 messages