Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plants for new small pond

I`m planning on digging (well hubby`s doing the digging image ) out a small and I mean small wildlife pond in my garden and was wondering if I need to put any plants in and if so what sort or type.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Yes!

Botumus umbellatus

Veronica beccabunga

Water forget me not

Check our puddleplants for info
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Puddleplants website shows which plants are native to this country so you can pick things that aren't going to cause havoc in your neck of the woods.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I've also had good service from waterside nursery

These are usually bigger plants that are of flowering size, whereas puddleplants are plugs that will grow and bulk up through summer so are cheaper.

Native; they only way to go
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Remember to add plenty of associated planting round the edges and nearby as well - it's vital for emerging frogs and small creatures to have cover close by  image

An oxygenator is needed - there are several readily available, and a few marginals on the shallower parts, including a vertical is all you'll need if it's a very small pond. Choose appropriate plants - many are designed for larger areas and will take over. 

My pond here is tiny - around 1 metre by half a metre, but it has a sloping beach for access and a couple of vertical plants as well as several others at the edges, including a white Caltha (marsh marigold) a spiral rush and some chrysographes irises,  leading into taller cover. I also have a tiny water lily in the deepest part.  It's been well used in the 18 months it's been there image

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/katyhillskhills/DSCF0285_zpsrzdqvgcg.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...