Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants to attract butterflies

Has anyone grown Verbena Lollipop? 

How attractive to butterflies is it? Is it as good as Verbena bodnatense?

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

They love it!

(Think you meant verbena bonariensis. )

• Sir TidSir Tid Posts: 12

Thanks God1locks, your right. Latin is confusing!

• I think verbena lollipop is just bonariensis, but a shorter stock. Remember to take cuttings, as they are not fully hardy. Mine didn't come back this year so the cuttings are going out. Easy to do, just plop then in a cell tray with cutting compost and stick them in a cold frame over winter. 

• I have bought buddleia this year and have taken a small cutting which is surviving.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

My bonariensis survived in pots outside this winter - amazingly - so have now planted them out. Good idea about the cuttings, will do that for next year.

I try to take cuttings - if I break something off a plant I pop the break in compost, sometimes they take, sometimes not (a bonus if they do). Often do it with clematis 

• Sir TidSir Tid Posts: 12

Verdun, well stirred! I was looking at it to go in tubs on my patio. I have normal bonariensis in a sunny border and wanted to put lollipop in tubs nearby. That should get the butterflies in (I hope).