Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pond Skaters

Hello All, hope everyone is well.

I was just watching my pond and saw the strangest sight. 

A bee had slipped off a leaf into the water and was trying to get back on it, when all the pond skaters in the pond started pouncing on it. Every time it tried to get out they engulfed it and dragged it back into the water. It kept shaking them off and they kept clambering back on it. Eventually there were about eight on it and held it there until it stopped struggling.

It turns out it isn't such a strange event, I just wikipedied it and there's actually a picture of them doing this. I never knew they did this. They are cannibals too! Strange what one learns. They always seemed like cute little carefree things. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It's better than the telly image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

I agree Dove! I was quite breathtaken

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

But what about the pond skater's lunch Runnybeakimage

In the sticks near Peterborough

Don't worry Runnybeak. The silly thing is, I did think to save the Bee, then I thought don't interfere in nature, then I thought no save it, then I realised I couldn't reach it, then I thought to go get something to reach it, then I sat kind of transfixed watching it. It's strange how even though it's on such a small level it was really horrific to watch the way they were all jumping on it, like watching miniature lions or wolves.

Then today it kept popping into my head, 'why didn't you save the bee' Then I had to tell myself to stop being so sensitive. image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Jack - it's a hard school when you start dabbling in wildlife isn't it? image

I freely admit to burying bees if I find them because it always seems so sad. image

Only dead ones of course...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Bees aren't long-lived creatures - if it wasn't strong enough to save itself the likelihood is that it was 'on it's way out' - and it's all part of the cycle of life. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Fairygirl. That's brilliant! Also very funny, sorry, but the thought of you burying bees, I love it, and the comment about only burying dead ones. Nature is cruel.

Philippa, this is very true. Nature is difficult to comprehend, and watching it is wonderful, on another day I may have saved it.

Dove, yep the cycle of life, it seems my garden is giving me lots of opportunities to meditate on life and death this year, which has to be a good thing image