London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
141 to 157 of 157 messages
19/09/2014 at 20:11

Watercress - that sounds like a good idea. Also good cover for pond life? Do I just buy it from the supermarket? 

19/09/2014 at 20:14

Yup - just chuck a handful or two in, Fishy!  

19/09/2014 at 20:19

Fishy......yes..........but as it is getting later in the year I don't know how well it will root. As yours is a new pond I don't expect you have a blanket weed problem at the moment.

Buy some in April May ( when it appears in the shops ) and your Pond temp is on the rise and just throw it in.

19/09/2014 at 20:20

But PS.......see what FG says (posts crossed )

19/09/2014 at 20:48

I was joking about buying it from the supermarket  So you really do then,shall I throw some spring onions in too? 

19/09/2014 at 21:40

Only if you want a stir fry Fishy! 

Philippa's right - probably don't need it till spring, but if it's mild enough now it'll grow - sometimes hangs about quite happily all winter 

19/09/2014 at 23:28

Fairygirl - I laughed out loud at that.

That's amazing there's a pond plant at the local co-op all this time but I just haven't seen it. I'll buy some tomorrow if its in stock 

I couldn't see the frog in the pond today until I looked in the grass at the edge and there he was,incredible camouflage.

Lyn
20/09/2014 at 00:57

Philippa/fairygirl, My pond is the same as fishys, very new, we did them together, well, at the same time,   did you see my pics on the previous page? Will water cress help that now. I didnt think I would have problems so soon!

20/09/2014 at 06:28

Dont have a pond. Yet, still working on hubby. I do have a half barrel with a few plants in which the birds love and, lord knows how, the frogs enjoy.  We do get blanket weed so Ill try the watercress thing in there but I thought watercress needed flowing water.

20/09/2014 at 07:38

I've used it in all the ponds I've had Yvie. At my last house we had one big pond which fed into a smaller, badly neglected one. After removing all the jungle of rosebay from it, a handful of watercress cleared the blanketweed.They were fed by a natural spring. At the previous house, near where I live now, I had a pond about the same size with standing water. Watercress cleared it within a month or so. It can seed around but it's easy to pull out.

This is the only pic I have of the 'tidied' pond. You can see the white flowers  of the cress at the left hand side. It was very shallow too, so it heated up at the edges very quickly

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P1170711_zps3517c8cb.jpg

I'd stick a  handful in Lyn - nothing to lose! 

20/09/2014 at 21:01

Fairygirl - that's another lovely pond from your hand,you have a real talent for it  The watercress - it says to plant in gravel so it concentrates on taking the nutrients from the water rather than what its planted in. Is this true? Also would sharp sand do cos I've got some of that.

Lyn - my pond is starting to look a bit murky already too but I think its a natural transition. The pond plants need time to establish and start gobbling up the nutrients in the water which at the same time starves algae and blanket weed. I've been reading online and watercress is particularly adept at this.

PS - frog wasn't there today. I hope a big nasty heron hasn't visited 

Lyn
21/09/2014 at 04:44

I have chucked in 2 big handfuls of water cress today, floating loose, not planted.

The pond is very clear you can see the bottom now even in the deep bit, maybe you need more floating oxygenators,fishy,  i have the baby soldiers for you ready to go, they are about 2/3 inches diameter. They are off the mother plant, they grow like the houseplant called Spider plant.

21/09/2014 at 08:44

Fishy - I can't take any credit for those two ponds - we inherited them, but they were very neglected. My partner at the time had no idea that pond was there - it was so badly overgrown, and the big one was a mess too, so we spent a lot of time renovating and improving it by creating a path so that we could walk right along it and enjoy the wildlife better

I've never planted my watercress - I just chuck it in and it gradually sets itself into the edges or bits of silt, but I may plant some in my new little pond. I'm thinking of putting it in a little mesh pocket at one side. They're good if you don't have nice even shelves for baskets and you can buy them now, but I might just cobble one together with some netting or landscape fabric. That's the mean...errr...canny Scot coming out in me 

Lyn
21/09/2014 at 13:26

Look what I got! had to blow photo up so not too clear.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/60511.jpg?width=313&height=350&mode=max

21/09/2014 at 22:15

I must confess Lyn, I didn't see it at first...that gorgeous dragonfly. I think you're going to have lots of dragonfly larvae in your pond.

I bought a bag of watercress today but didn't get a chance to float it in the pond what with everything going on.

Lyn
21/09/2014 at 23:20

I did chuck mine in yesterday, this  morning it was tight up to the side

The dragonfly is big and has a huge head, scary,  he kept swooping up to us.

Lyn
22/09/2014 at 16:32

Well, the swoopy dragon almost has his chips today, first off he swooped down on

me, hitting me in the face then getting tangled in my hair, then he kept dive bombing on the cat until in the end Thomas upped with his paw and beat him to the ground, I rescued him and he flew away, no harm

done, except we are both scared of him now!

email image
141 to 157 of 157 messages