Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ponds

Guernsey Donkey asked to see pics of my pond(s), she would probably like to see other wildlife ponds as well so bring them on.

spring

now, looking a bit tired and bedraggled

the other one

In the sticks near Peterborough

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Your ponds are fabulous, Nut.  Are they natural or have you lined them?

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Liri They're just holes in the ground. Old gravel diggings from the horse and cart days. water level is ground water, up to the top in the rainy season, very low indeed by the end of a dry summer (not this one). 

It makes planting difficult, only the toughies can cope. Iris pseudocorus, typha, reeds, marsh marigold. Comfreys and willowherbs on the banks.

Very wildlife full, newts, dragonflies etc.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Absolutely awesome nutcutlet!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thanks Ladybird, 

• Yes, they are stunning ponds nutcutlet - they look very natural and I am not surprised that they attract so much wildlife - does the water move with perhaps a natural stream or pumped water, and is there a filter?  I think I remember reading on here that filters are not a good idea for wildlife - is that true?

• I would like to see other members ponds if they have pictures to share as we are just beginning to piece together some designs for a proposed pond in our garden - getting my OH to agree to us having a pond has been the biggest hurdle up to now!

no filter, nothing except a hole full of water, or less than full by the end of summer, no real flow but when it's full and the wind blows it looks like a river. water does run out of the end when it's full so a bit of flow then. I don't think filters and wildlife ponds go together.

I couldn't find the thread I was looking for, there were some great ponds on it. Maybe someone else can find it

• That's interesting and thank you for taking the time to help find the pond thread.  With a bit of luck other members will add to this thread.  I am not sure how to contact the Forum organizers, but it is a bit of a nuisance that I can no longer search back for past topics. Thanks again.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

From natural to ornamental. I have a rectangular deep pond with no sides or shelving to help wildlife gain access. This is how I'm trying to balance the two; it is alive with frogs and birds stand on the pebbles to wash so must be working.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949