London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
28/07/2013 at 09:43

Hi nut, If you cut early next year you won't see it at all. It hates being mown  except a very light trim in April. So if you ever did want to get rid of it give the meadow a Chelsea Chop. In the meadows where I walk the dogs they cut it back in, I think, June, it was almost totally absent there this year, where as the year before it had been dominating. You wouldn't know it had ever been there, the grasses will recover. A Chelsea Chop should give the later flowering herbs time to push through again and some won't even notice. 

28/07/2013 at 15:01

I have the oriental poppies in my garden pots (all pink except for one purple one!) But no red ones. If I want some for the 100 yrs remembrance, where it's the best place to buy?  I have never seen a packet of seeds for them on their own.

28/07/2013 at 15:13

Hi Jim, I think I shall but giving quite a large part of the meadow a good mowing well into the year next year. Those parts that have been mown for paths have lost a lost of the cowpasley and hogweed but I can see that lesser knapweed and geranium pratense and several other more desirables are still there. I have a right mess this year, not impressing me ot the insects except thousands of grasshoppers. Plenty of butterflies, dragonflies, bees, hoverflies etc around the rest of the garden though.

Several large skippers which we have rarely had here, they must be doing OK. No blues.

28/07/2013 at 17:45
Little weeeed wrote (see)

I have the oriental poppies in my garden pots (all pink except for one purple one!) But no red ones. If I want some for the 100 yrs remembrance, where it's the best place to buy?  I have never seen a packet of seeds for them on their own.

Thompson & Morgan sell the wild red poppy (Papaver rhoeas) seeds

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/poppy-seeds/papaver-rhoeas-flanders/6553TM

So do Crocus...

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/papaver-rhoeas/classid.1000000958/

08/01/2014 at 11:28

Well Ive purchased my poppy seeds, but I'm looking for ideas for plants to accompany the poppies, to both grow amongst them and maybe to hide the poppy foliage after they have flowered.

Any suggestions please?

08/01/2014 at 14:08

Dog daisies go well with poppies

08/01/2014 at 17:28

Thanks, maybe I ought to introduce some blue into the equation, then I will gave a red, white and blue display for the WW1 centenary. Perhaps blue cornflowers?

08/01/2014 at 17:29

Cornflowers would mix nicely

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages