Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

question about bees and roses ?

I have many roses in my garden and most of them are the old roses which have lots of tight petals which the bees cannot get to.  My question is, when the rose has finished flowering and all the petals are falling can the bees then get to the pollen or does it also die with the rose.  I normally deadhead my roses immediately but if I thought it would help the bees I will leave them for a while

Any help appreciated

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Those tight packed blooms of roses or any other plant are not good for bees. There's nothing there for them

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

This website http://www.classicroses.co.uk/ gives details of which roses are good for bees image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• What I want to know is when the petals fall from these tight blooms can the bees then get to the pollen.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think that by then the pollen is of little use to them - don't know that for sure tho, maybe there's a beekeeper on here.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes you are right, I mean nectar don't I.  Yes you are right we need a bee keeper to answer.  I might repost.  image