London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
25/10/2012 at 13:28

I've read recently that ramshorn snails are great for ponds in that they eat algae (I'm hoping they like blanketweed).  Has anyone out there had any experience of these - good or bad - please?

25/10/2012 at 14:42

Beautiful snails, walk upside down under the surface and some showing red undersides. I've got lots. I've also got lots of algae.

25/10/2012 at 14:51

Thank you nutcutlet - I must say I think I might get some anyway, whether or not they eat algae, as it's just more life in the pond, apart from the goldfish.

25/10/2012 at 14:56

Good idea, though the fish might eat the snails eggs. I've only had a really good wild life pond going since the heron ate all the fish. Now we've got a good colony of great crested newts but not many frogs, I understand that newts eat frogspawn.

I'm sure it all balances itself out if we leave it alone.

25/10/2012 at 15:05

Yep, I get a heron visit every day at, roughly, lunchtime!!  It stands there perfectly still for ages but never actually tries to catch anything, and I have a lot of fish, (inherited when we bought out house) and they are all quite visible at the moment but as you say it all balances out - nature is a wonderful thing.

email image
5 messages