Start a new thread
SYLVIAF40409

I've read recently that ramshorn snails are great for ponds in that they eat algae (I'm hoping they like blanketweed).  Has anyone out there had any experience of these - good or bad - please?

nutcutlet

Beautiful snails, walk upside down under the surface and some showing red undersides. I've got lots. I've also got lots of algae.

SYLVIAF40409

Thank you nutcutlet - I must say I think I might get some anyway, whether or not they eat algae, as it's just more life in the pond, apart from the goldfish.

nutcutlet

Good idea, though the fish might eat the snails eggs. I've only had a really good wild life pond going since the heron ate all the fish. Now we've got a good colony of great crested newts but not many frogs, I understand that newts eat frogspawn.

I'm sure it all balances itself out if we leave it alone.

SYLVIAF40409

Yep, I get a heron visit every day at, roughly, lunchtime!!  It stands there perfectly still for ages but never actually tries to catch anything, and I have a lot of fish, (inherited when we bought out house) and they are all quite visible at the moment but as you say it all balances out - nature is a wonderful thing.