Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Red Kites

As I sit at the computer there are three Red Kites flying to and fro past the window.  They are so beautiful.  It is very windy today so they are twisting and turning, showing off their lovely colouring.

• I have seen them near Lampeter ,flying in a group and in Norfolk.a lovely sight.

• We are spoilt here in the Chilterns we see loads daily but you never stop marvelling at their beauty!!image

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Yeah, the Chilterns is where I saw my first UK Red Kite. I only knew what it was because I'd seen 'swarms' of them in India, everywhere, they're like seagulls over there. They haven't made up here in Durham yet, at least I haven't seen them yet.

• PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

At Studley Green, high in the Chilterns this lunchtime, and driving down the road I was surrounded by red kites, swooping 20 to 30 feet above me! Further along, I spotted an obviously serious photographer who had put some food in a field, and there were over 60 kites diving around, trying to get at their lunch - very reminiscent of gulls going berserk in St. Ives,when it's lunchtime and everyone is eating pasties!

I'm sure you know, Jim, that in India the kites are commonly referred to as 'sh..e hawks'

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

image I didn't know that, but I was a monk when in India so perhaps people were too polite to tell me. image