London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
2 messages
08/02/2014 at 14:24

As spring approaches, why not sow some extra seeds or divide up some clumps specifically to pass on? Many neighbours or colleagues will be delighted, and it's a good way of spreading wildlife friendly plants. Better still, stick labels to the pots with simple descriptions/growing instructions. Last year I offloaded about 15 plants and 30-odd seedlings, plus half a dozen or so part-packets of surplus seeds.

Individual sowing cells seem to work even for plants that claim not to like root disturbance provided you sow individually and plant on when well established, e.g. cornflowers and sweet scabious (which doesn't often get mentioned in  wildlife gardening books but comes in many colours and is appreciated by bees, hoverflies and butterflies).

08/02/2014 at 14:58

I got so fed up seeing bare space in my asparagus bed for most of the year that I threw a few annuals over it. Right in the middle of the potager it attracted loads of insects, and the asparagus did not seem bothered. Their furry fronds mixed beautifully with the field poppies and aquilegia. I have not weeded them out over Winter, let them seed naturally to have a wild flower garden in amongst the veg. Not only great for bees etc, but really pretty in the spirit of potager gardening.

email image
2 messages