London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
19 messages
06/01/2013 at 18:15

Hi all,

I will have a lovely garden, although I hate the thing just now after digging up stumps and rubble all weekend...

I am about to plant a box hedge around the boundary and then will start planting some shrubs and then herbacious plants. I have a long list of shrubs to add, but thought I'd ask if there is one particular one that I should have.

I want to attract birds, bees and bufferflies. I want to keep it  fairly low1-1.5m.

Many thanks,

Bill

06/01/2013 at 18:20

I would go for lavenders, easy maintenance and the bees will love them.

06/01/2013 at 18:26
Daphne's...nice new one called Eternal Fragrance? Skimmias....in spring they attract a lot of bees here. Aconitums attract both bees and butterflies and add some height. I love perennials and grasses and now veer more to them than shrubs because they seem to offer greater variety?? There are some experts on this forum who no doubt will offer suggestions about attracting wildlife but I find by plantIng things I like often provides food for bees and butterflies too.
06/01/2013 at 18:31

You need to think about the height you want them to grow, colours, where your sun/shade is. then sit down with some garden catalogues/books and browse and decide what would suit you. There are loads of shrubs that attarct the bisrd and the bees.

Bjay

06/01/2013 at 20:40

Sedums and eryngiums are essential and I saw on a post recently that there are small buddleias available.

06/01/2013 at 21:20

If you want to attract wildlife it is good to have something in flower throughout the  year. Shrubs which flower, produce berries and cover for wildlife tick more boxes and therefore should, imo be given priority. However plant for yourself too....something that is lovely to look at, smell etc. Some I wouldn't be without for me and wildlife - Lonicera fragrantissima has just started flowering, I saw a bee on it today and it smells wonderful, gives cover in summer and I grow a clematis through it in the summer; Berberis. lots of different types but i love  Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea 'Atropurpurea Nana' AGM - flowers and berries; Pyracantha - flowers, berries and cover - great grown up against a wall.

Just for me (not specifically for wildlife) Camellia, Nandina domestica, Callicarpa bodinieri var.giraldii ‘Profusion’ .... I could go on but at this time of year I am so glad of my winter jasmine, mahonia, clematis 'freckles' and honeysuckle to lift my spirits and am watching for snowdrops, daffs, primroses to follow on.... and the days are getting longer.

Enjoy your planning and I hope you will soon be enjoying the fruits of your labours.    

06/01/2013 at 23:22
I looked at buddleia blue chip recently. It's supposed to be very good but my resolution on this forum was to resist buying new plants. .......might buy one and not tell anybody!
07/01/2013 at 17:25

so I am looking and looking...

The buddleja buzz and glue chip are sold as plugs. When is a good time to plant a plug? Is it successful straight in ground? What is a plug anyway?

There are many shrubs in 9cm pots. Will that mean I have to wait years for it to grow more than a stick with a leaf on it?

There are many of my selected shrubs in the "sale" at the garden Centre Group. Are these a respectable place to get things from? I was looking at my local nursey and also the RHS website.

Mant thanks,

Bill

07/01/2013 at 18:12
Buddleia blue chip is available in 2 litre pots....see online. Plugs won't do much for a year at least and are just as costly. A plug is a very small plant that is meant to potted into a small 9cm pot so very small indeed. Garden centres soon, maybe now, will be offering PERENNIALS in 9cm pots. These can be great value.....I pot them up into 1 litre pots and grow them on and, come the spring or summer, make garden-size plants. The growth rate from February onwards can be amazing. Not sure I would want to buy SHRUBS in 9 cm pots though.....again, they take too long. There are some sales though in the garden centres right now so shrubs will be offered before their new....and expensive....stock arrives.
07/01/2013 at 22:04

Hi Bill, 

Can you show us some pics as you go, I think you did post one before of the bare plot, would be good to see how its coming along. 

10/01/2013 at 18:14

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17557.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17558.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17559.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17562.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17561.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

10/01/2013 at 18:18

apple tree, pear tree and plum tree in back. Fan trained and against the walls.

Sorbus Chinese Lace in corner in front of garage door.

Sorbus Joseph rock in middle of front garden (lawn will get patched up with turf when spring arrives).

Box hedge in place, just left side of path needs doing, but border needs making/digging in at the weekend!

Also dropped a rhubarb crown I was given by a neighbour in at the back...

cheers,

Bill

p.s. I ache all over!

10/01/2013 at 18:24

I know you have worked extremly hard but I would widen the borders, you can get more in them them/ Also why not curve the border bed up and around the square bed. Say from the corner of lawn at back of photo along,using the new bed then narrowing it to go back to your border. Try to think away from the narrow border scenario..

With a larger border you can then fill it with tall shrubs up to the road bringing in smaller shrubs, perrennials and bulbs to the front.

I've just noticed you have planted box. That would, when grown proetct your more precious shrubs.

That's me, I always try to think out of the traditional box. Even small garden s can go 'bold'. and you could pedestrian protect your garden better then as well.

10/01/2013 at 18:33

The borders are just what I dug out as they stood. My intentions are to widen them and curve around the corners, but fill in the square; either with bought turf or transplant that I lift to widen the borders.

I want the box to grow to about 50-70cm. Then maybe in front of them/bottom of them (on road side), have a "carpet" plant/flower, although no idea what and no idea when to do it.

I have bags of bark/mulch to cover the beds, but not had time to dig them yet and thought if I transplant the turf, now might not be a good time. So might just put bark around tree base and box base for now.

I've been petrified of cocking it up so took a long while to decide to buy and then to plant! But someone on here said slowly, slowly is way to go...

10/01/2013 at 18:39
Job well done Bill. Lookin good mate will look very impressive when it all starts knitting together.
10/01/2013 at 18:43

Thanks for the pics Bill, from the other pics you posted before it looks like you have done alot already. Take your time, and research plants, what you like, growing conditions. Some of them can be expensive and you dont want to end up with something your not happy with. Great looking job so far, now put your feet up and give yourself a pat on the back..

10/01/2013 at 18:45

Yes, slowly best way, plants are not a quick fix and the more preparation the better they grow.

10/01/2013 at 19:20

Very impressive Bill.

10/01/2013 at 19:45

A great job...can I suggest a little light reading while you rest your bones. I am just finishing a book by Mike Dilger (apparently the One show naturalist, I'd never heard of him) called My Garden and Other Animals. He gives a month to month account over a year of what he does and what animals he sees and attracts to his new (overgrown) garden as he does it. Thrown in are some tidbits of info, gardening and wildlife, not too much but enough to keep you interested and teach you as he learns as he goes along. He mentions different plants he selects and why and the ones he also dispenses with and how he creates new habitats etc. I enjoyed it and thought it might appeal to you as you take on your plot.  

email image
19 messages