Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slup pellets

Are the slug pellets which are so poisonous to cats and dogs also poisonous to other creatures?  I know that they can kill hedgehogs, but what about rabbits, squirrels or badgers?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I'd have thought they'd make them ill if not dead.  This extract is from Toxipedia.  Who knew there was one of those?

In addition to laboratory studies on mice and rats, data indicate that the compound is toxic to various other organisms. Although LD50 values, the median lethal dosages, are unavailable for birds, several cases of death have been reported for birds feeding in metaldehyde-treated areas. Likewise, poultry living in exposed areas have shown tremors, muscle spasms, difficulty breathing, and diarrhea. Metaldehyde does not seem to affect aquatic organisms (#EXTOXNET). Pelleted baits have been reported to be toxic to multiple organisms. Likewise, these baits are appealing to dogs, and therefore numerous agencies recommend that pets be confined during the application of the chemical. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Does anyone have any tried and tested slug pellet alternatives?

I was very pleased when the neighbours with the extremely overgrown garden moved and new people arrived with pots and hanging baskets.  Great I thought, no more weeds coming across the fence.  Now they have covered the entire garden with weed free membrane all the slugs and snails have been displaced to my garden giving me a slug problem I never had before.

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

ive avoided pellets so far due to hedgehogs in garden and cats but im getting poushed to try something

dahlias new completely eaten and a laurel that is 3foot high doing really well then flowered and bang half dead looking

this seems to the best option just a bit of a price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nemaslug-Slug-Killer-Standard-treats/dp/B000VPESVQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1464676230&sr=8-7&keywords=slug

the rest are so so with reviews so it will always be a fight

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

HI All,

I can really recommend the nematodes .... I've got a large garden so needed to buy the 100 sq m pack. Not cheap but so worth it.

I applied during early May.

I went out the recently on an evening "slug hunt" ... it was warm and damp ... ideal slug weather. In the past I would have got 400+  .... the total caught was 8. The hostas have never looked so nice ... and the erythroniums were lovely this year too.

I'll be buying another pack for applying in late June. I figure that the cost is equivalent to buying a couple of plants ... so put like that it doesn't seem too bad if it saves things I've already got.

I also get to spend time gardening rather than constantly slug hunting. image

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Not really bothered about killing off the molluscs, I was more interested in the effects of the pellets on the wild life. The farmers round here throw tons of slug pellets on the Oil seed rape and I wondered if it had any effect on the animals around.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Yes, it will if they eat them or any slugs affected.   I saw a report on TV a few days ago about slugs in Essex, Suffolk and hereabouts devastating farmers' crops of rapeseed so I can understand but I don't see why they can't use the newer, wildlife friendly pellets.

I do and find they're very effective.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I am using nematodes for the third year on my potatoes with great success.  I do use pellets elsewhere but I hadn't thought of the knock-on effect with hedgehogs.  It was mentioned somewhere recently that overuse does more harm than good and 2/3 to the sq/yd is ample.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

I don't think farmers are allowed to use Metaldehyde pellets anymore so they're using the wildlife friendly ones.  They're not as effective which is why the rape is being devastated.  They aren't happy because apart from anything else rape is used as a break crop on farms where mostly cereals are grown.

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 488

I use the ferris pellets, which are said to be organic friendly.  I've done some research and its suggested wildlife eating the ferris pellet (with a slug or snail wrapped around it!) won't be harmed.  And they also reckon that snails/slugs that eat the ferris pellets generally return to die underground as they aren't killed immediately but simply stop them from feeding and then they starve to death.  I usually use the pellets early in the season as the slugs and snails emerge from winter hibernation, and before the critters and frogs come out of the pond.  That kills off a lot of slugs/snails and then I use them sparingly throughout the rest of the year and it keeps them in check.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

My brother works for Anglian Water and can confirm metaldehyde traces are found in drinking water. This poison is designed to destroy the digestive systems of slugs and snails. What does metaldehyde do to the digestive systems of mollusc predators or indeed ourselves?