London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
10 messages
01/05/2014 at 15:48

Can anyone tell me how I can get frogs to take up residence in my tiny wildlife pond?  It's 2 years old and quite healthy now - made with a natural shape from a liner and with stones round the edge and a little pebble area and a log for creatures to get in and out and some plants in there too.  But although I saw one tiny frog in the pond last year, that's the only time - and there's never been any frog spawn.  My garden is fairly wildlife friendly (leaves left under hedges, gravel, lots of plant cover etc).  Any suggestions very welcome.

01/05/2014 at 16:48

they will come!  we sunk a child's sandpit lid into the ground, near our big fish pond, and within two weeks had frogs and newts, waterboatmen and pond skaters.. since last year marginal plants have grown well, waterforgetmenot, iris, and mimulus which loves its' feet in water.  We have semi-shaded the pond because it is in a south facing area, used a decorative panel with annual climbers up it.. be patient, and make sure a tile or something firm is down into the pond for access/exit. make a shallow area using large pebbles for birds to perch on and for shallow loving plants.

01/05/2014 at 16:54

Thanks Jean.  It's hard to have had no success so far and especially when my friend has not only froglets but a newt like you as well!  I shall be patient but am I right that this is the time of year when you should get spawn - and then the little froglets later on?  I do have some shade from my apple trees but some sun too and there's plenty of foliage around the edges but I'll make sure there's something firmer in case I get lucky.

01/05/2014 at 17:23

Frogs usually spawn about February so i'ts late in the year for spawn now. Toads spawn in March, but as Jean has said, they will find a pond, just be patient. A log pile would help, the female frogs bury themselves in my log pile to over winter, the males hibernate in water for winter.

The RSPCA website has more information on attracting wildlife into the garden, including frogs, there some lovely tips there.

01/05/2014 at 19:21

Thanks Dave - got my timing completely wrong.  Now I know.  Will sort out a log pile too.  So do the males overwinter at the bottom of a little pond?  If they do, presumably they need a bit of sludge down there and some good foliage from the pond plants?

04/05/2014 at 09:25

if you aren't getting frogs can they actually get into the garden? luckily my back fence is somewhat dilapidated so I think they came through the holes in that, same with the hedgehogs. my only issue last year was trying not to mow the thousands of froglets hopping about on the lawn.

04/05/2014 at 10:29

Fostonlass, I am also a frustrated small wildlife pond owner!

My situation is exactly as described by yourself, the only difference being that I have seen a newt in my pond and there was definitely a large frog in there last late Summer, but no tadpoles.

I too have logs, a shallow area which is pebbled, and lots of plants plus sludge at the bottom of the pond and mine is just a year old now.

I suppose having done all you can to attract them, you have to be patient and just enjoy the insects that are using the pond. I can sit for hours just watching a pond skater on the pond - sad isn't it?

04/05/2014 at 11:03

You've all done the right things, fontonlass, you will have sludge in the bottom of the pond already, so don't worry. The initial influx of wildlife, usually of the flying variety, is then followed by the others. Patience is the key with wildlife, small ponds take longer than larger bodies of water, but they will find them.

We live in a world of the instant result, however the word 'instant' in not in the garden and wildlife dictionary, sit back and watch and enjoy each development,Rome wasn't built in a day.

04/05/2014 at 11:19

good advice and its so nice to see you all trying to help wildlife at Enville Hall last year we won the good for wildlife competiton just a local event but I thourgly enjoyed taking part and learnt so much in the process.gardens become sterile with everthing in its place and not a weed in sight not a welcome for wild life.a pile of logs bit of long grass,some water and they will come

04/05/2014 at 11:51
To quote, "If you build it, they will come". It just takes a while for word to get around that there is a new pond in the area. It could be that you live in an area with few frogs but your pond will help to increase the population. It helps if you aren't too fussy about keeping things pristine because they love ponds with a lot of mud to hide in.
email image
10 messages