9 messages
02/11/2012 at 20:36
Hi all, I have been managing a small sink pond in my garden all summer and although it has no fish in it it does have some water plants like water lilies etc, if we get a harsh frost the whole pond will freeze up, will this kill all the plants? Should I empty the pond and take the plants out and put them in the shed? Please help as the plants were quite expensive so I don't want to have to replace them all again next spring.
02/11/2012 at 20:43

no problem leave at it is, as there are no fish you can break the surface ice if necessary

02/11/2012 at 20:45
Thanks but a really hard frost would freeze it all the way through, would it crack the sink, it's one of those old, white ones?
02/11/2012 at 21:11

hi bee friendly,i would agree with alan the sink is so thick it would take more than a frost to crack it ,i would leave it but if you are not happy to do this,is it on top of the ground or is it sunk.

03/11/2012 at 08:53
It's on top of the ground chica, I suppose I could pack some polythene underneath the sink and then just wait and see.
03/11/2012 at 10:11

Hi Well that answered a question I have, I have just startd a pond ina galvanised tin bath. All summer I kept an expensive pygmy water lily alive in a bright orange B&Q bucket - even had flowers but now what doi do? It's water lily leaves. Do i let them be in the water or remove them bfore they decompos too much. The lily is now in the bath not the bucket.

04/11/2012 at 13:15

I've had 3 of these wonderful Belfast type sinks in the garden for many years - though not full of water, but full of sometimes very wet compost.  They have been frozen solid time after time, and have not yet come to any harm.  If you remain worried, wrap it  in some horticultural  fleece (not bubblewrap as it can trap the water against the glaze, which can chip off if then frozen), or sacking, or old curtains or whatever is availble.  They are very tough things though, as are water lilies, which freeze solid too quite often and seem to thrive on it. 

04/11/2012 at 18:40

hi bjay i also have old galvanisied tin bath plus an old army cooking pot in the garden i just leave it out and at the moment my water lillys leaves have gone yellow and black so i just cut them off at the stem and they always suvive.

29/04/2013 at 09:31

My galvanised bath, planted up with a couple of water plants, developed a red slime last year all over the decorative stones. I cleaned it all out, started again and hey presto! this month it's back. I spoke to someone who sells these baths as I thought it may be some kind of rust, but he says it's an algae. Anybody gotany answers to this one?

email image
9 messages