London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
02/10/2013 at 21:34

I have tried numerous times to have a small water feature since filling in the pond that I could`nt manage anymore... no matter what I land up inundated with midges so get rid of it before i get eaten to death... anyone got idea to help with this..

03/10/2013 at 00:16

As far as I'm aware only a water feature naturally inhabited with a wide spectrum of wildlife will balance out naturally (ie fish and other creatures will reduce the midge larvae).  Although any water feature is better than none - I had the same problem with a bucket in the ground.... 

04/10/2013 at 00:03

thanks danny.. i see loads looked at my thread but no one seems to have an answer..oh well... I give up..

04/10/2013 at 01:10

Hi Jean,  

I believe that midges etc. like to lay their eggs in relatively still water so you could get something to move the water around?  A solar powered fountain perhaps?

I used to have a small water feature that I managed to keep a couple of fish in.  It was well stocked with plants - yellow flag irises, dwarf mace, cottongrass, water mint, hairgrass, hornwort, duckweed and blanket weed.

The frogs loved it and I had a couple of small goldfish in there for a couple of years without feeding them.  Never had a problem with midges.  There were larvae in there (I could see them "springing" around) but they were eaten before they developed.

04/10/2013 at 08:21

When the water's shallow it heats up easily jean so maybe something deeper? If it's a moveable feature and you can't make it any deeper then it's a case of emptying it regularly. I had a little temporary birdbath for wildlife over the summer and had the same problem - it was just because of the shallow water heating up, and the mossies loved laying their eggs in it. I just cleaned it out regularly.

04/10/2013 at 14:27

thanks for advice...farmergedden..the solar powered fountain is a good idea...my husband will moan as i have had him dig numerous ponds.. last one just got too much what with algea & heron taking all the fish.. we decided to fill it in but i do love water..so possibly a suncken plastic bin in the shade with solar etc... oh, another thing, I seem to fail dissmally with oxygenating plants..whats best..

in pond I had loads of frogs but they gradually deminished for some reason.. i doo miss them..  so this is next yrs project..yippeee...

email image
6 messages