London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
19/08/2013 at 18:47

Hi There, I am new to the forum, but have found GW.com great for useful advice in the past.

I have a lone frog living in the garden. He / She has been in residence for about 2 years and must be well fed, as I do not have slug problems. I this Froggy lives underneath a slightly raised bed, because everytime I water heavily - it pops out of the same place.  Could Froggy actually live in this place: -

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/smallish/29560.jpg?width=149&height=92&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/smallish/29553.jpg?width=172&height=123&mode=max

After reading some of the posts about small ponds for wildlife, I decided to put one in close to Froggy's home. I do not have much room, so the one I have put in is only 24" x 16" x 6" deep. I have put rocks and pebbles in and one plant so far. I intend planting up with a floating plant and plants around the edge so visitors  have cover. Also, I have put in a small air stone, but am not sure if I should have.done.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29564.jpg?width=275&height=164&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/smallish/29565.jpg?width=180&height=125&mode=max

I would appreciate any comments / advice.

19/08/2013 at 18:57

Frogs live quite happily out in the garden. The only time that they really need a pond is when they are wanting to lay their eggs. In fact, one must be careful when using a fork or spade in the summer as sometimes there is a ghastly scream as they are accidentally disembowelled by the garden tools.

19/08/2013 at 19:09

Oh lyndab that's just so sweet. I'm sure froggy will love his little pond. Just make sure anything going in can also get out safely- a little slope of stones and gravel up to one edge will be plenty.  Don't know if you need the air stone or not but your main problem will be to stop it freezing in winter. If you can manage that you'll get lots of little creatures visiting - birds will drink and bathe in it. Not sure if I'd put any more plants in as they'll probably take over completely. 

19/08/2013 at 19:33

Thanks  Waterbutts & Fairygirl. 

Ooops - did not think about it freezing, maybe it will end up as a 9 months attraction for critters.  Birds are ok, they have 3 bird baths on & off the ground, which I keep ice and snow free.

I have placed the rocks close to the edge with top of one showing and the others sloping into the water - hopefully this will act as a ramp.

19/08/2013 at 20:12

Get some pix of your frog if you can lyndab! You can always put some cover over part of it to keep it from freezing- a piece of wood on a couple of bricks -  just in case! I did that with a tiny pond I had years ago and it did the trick.

19/08/2013 at 20:29

Here is my Froggy - shame he didn't spot the fly behind him

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29569.jpg?width=230&height=153&mode=max

21/08/2013 at 18:58

Love your pond Lynda, well done.  I made one about the same size when I noticed a couple of frogs on my garden.  I also bought a cheap solar pump from a well-known website and it keeps the pond oxygenated.  When the sun's out, that is!

They still pop in now and again - I spotted one in there the other day.  Like someone said, they only use it to lay eggs but here's hoping that we both get more little ones visiting soon!

21/08/2013 at 19:53

Thanks Sean, 

I wish my Froggy had a friend.

For 2 years, I have only seen the one.  If he / she has not got a mate hidden away -it must be lonely..

How long do frogs live ? 

22/08/2013 at 15:17

Hi Lynda

I'm not sure how long frogs live - apparently it's hard to track their lifespan.  Somewhere between 4 and 15 years seems to be received wisdom, but who knows?

One appeared in the garden first, I think he'd been hibernating and emerged when I was doing some garden maintenance in spring.  I then made the pond and spotted two there.  I'm pretty sure there's frog spawn in there now so I'll keep an eye out...

22/08/2013 at 16:37

Lyndab, you have done what I want to do! What is an sir stone? And what is the tub you have used, please? I have a frog that looks exactly like yours, in fact I have some smaller ones hopping about and have done for years Would really love some expert advice from someone. I have been reading up (googled) and came across a 'Save the Frogs' site. This site recommended that a small pond be about 2ft deep - does it really have to be that deep? And I've been looking for a suitable container for ages I went to Dobbies garden centre today and they had a small, moulded pond for half price - £18 - nearly bought it but they had sold out at the branch near me. I'm wondering if I could use a small tub - like am old cat litter tray, a big sized one, but will that be deep enough - doubt it?

22/08/2013 at 17:55

Hi Sean - I hope I see more froggies hopping about like you did.

Haisie - Errrrr..    a sir stone is a mispelled Air Stone - typing skills not good and must get new glasses.

Thanks for mention of the Save the Frogs site, I will have a look at that.

The tub is a plastic storage tub from the Range. It cost about £3.  It is an experiment - ie  will it last the winter.   Plastic trays on the lawn for bird food and water don't crack in the winter, so maybe my little pool will survive.  If not, I will have to get something more frost proof  next year.

22/08/2013 at 20:10

Hi Haisie- the reason for having that depth for a pond is to prevent it freezing over in winter which would kill off any wildlife in it. Pity you couldn't get your little bargain pond but you could always get some liner and dig one out yourself. I did one years ago and it wasn't too difficult. It means you can make it any shape you want and include a slope which enables creatures to get in and out safely.

23/08/2013 at 06:20

I've got plans for a small wildlife pond - I'm getting lots of info from here http://www.wildaboutgardens.org.uk/resources/leaflets/WildlifePondPack.pdf

23/08/2013 at 07:42

Thank you, All! I'm determined to make one before the end of summer. Sorry about the spelling mistakes - often staring at my garden, while typing, wondering what to do next! Lyndab, what is an air stone?

23/08/2013 at 07:45

They're normallly used in fish tanks to keep the water aerated Haisie. Good luck with the pond and keep us updated with pix if you can. 

23/08/2013 at 07:59

Fairygirl, thanks. I have not been on this site long, although accessed the site for years and now wish I'dve joined this forum a long time ago. I've worked hard on my garden for 15 years. When I bought my house it had 18 Llandi (sp?) trees stripping and sucking up all the goodness - they were a mess. And through so many mistakes, I now have quite a nice garden. And now, I am getting my confidence up. I've made many expensive mistakes with plants - planting them in the wrong places, etc. I will move on to the next step of uploading pictures onto this soon - recently changed my name on this, I was Janet Salisbury and you helped me with some advice with my first post earlier this week.

23/08/2013 at 08:10

Hi Janet! We all make mistakes - it's a big learning curve with plants isn't it. I posted on a thread yesterday saying how sorry I felt for anyone who'd just started gardening in the last couple of years because the weather's been so erratic which makes it even harder! Improving a space to suit your own needs is very satisfying. 

There's so many helpful people on here with great experience and I've personally learnt a huge amount in the few months since I joined. Lots of kind and funny ones too and we enjoy a laugh as well as sharing knowledge and tips. 

23/08/2013 at 08:18

Ha, thanks Fairygirl. I have learnt a lot already, and by reading others' posts - such a great site! I have an iPad with lots of pictures of my garden on it - will try to find out how to do that later. Just found the smiley button  and the font buttons  - whoops and the 'take your typing back' button. Not as thick as I sound, honest!

23/08/2013 at 10:45

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29767.jpg?width=514&height=350&mode=max

Fairy girl, just experimenting! This is a plant I love. I have trimmed the bottom of it as it was just getting too large and now it looks so beautiful. This was taken a couple of months ago. Chicken wire stops my cats scratching it. Sorry, I know that this is the wrong thread to put this on. But just trying to find out how to upload pictures.

23/08/2013 at 10:52

Well whatever you did it worked! Is that Sambucus 'Black Lace'? Nice shrub, the foliage is gorgeous.  I think the iPads sometimes have issues with uploading pix as others have had problems. I use an external site for doing mine which another member had recommended and it's been great. There were a few issues a while back as some pix wouldn't enlarge.

1 to 20 of 22 messages