London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 66 messages
04/03/2013 at 09:07
Thank you Swiss Sue X
04/03/2013 at 09:12

My pleasure, I just didn't like the tone of "voice"!

04/03/2013 at 10:22
It looks great I have a small pond too and I get frogs and newts I put a net over mine in autumn to catch the leaves still gets some in but it stops a lot (I leave a gap for anything that wants to escape) don't be disheartened enjoy your pond
04/03/2013 at 11:25
I think your pond looks really good Erica938. I hope you will get loads of visitors to it this year.
04/03/2013 at 13:31
Thank you all for your kind words.... I love my pond ;0)
04/03/2013 at 16:05

Our wee wildlife pond is close to,  ( 1 metre ) off a patch of holly hedge, is about 3 sq. m in area. I put some mud and grunge into it from a proper wild pond, with some weed, and this was some 5 years ago. I have a resident population of 6 good frogs, who wish me 'bon jour' every day in the spawning season. It has virtually no attention but for desultory clearing of the worst of the weed during the year. I lined the hole with some spare pond liner that the gardening centre didn't bother to charge me for, bless 'em, and it slakes the thirst of our honey bees, wasps, butterflies, hedgehogs, da boidies, and gives us a spiritual re-charging of batteries. We love our time oop t'lotty, and it's worth every penny we spend on it, in it.

04/03/2013 at 20:31

It's not about putting people off. It's about knowing all the facts, regardless to whether we want to hear them. You don't go and buy/ build something with only the  positives in mind, do you ? I have 20 years experience with ponds and 10 years in gardening and in that time I've encountered many problems, which can happen regardless of size. Perhaps I should take my advice somewhere else, where it will be appreciated.

If people don't like friendly advice or someone's opinion, why post. Not like we are children and can't have a sensible discussion about what can go wrong.

Never encountered this before, how bizarre. Might look for another forum, NOT !! hahah

JOKE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

04/03/2013 at 21:16

I appreciate your advice however i wouldn't have called it constructive when all you wrote is 'it will end up like pea soup' hence the reason why i asked you why you wrote that, also your posts didn't come across as friendly (my opinion). Anyway the pond is there to stay and i feel rather optimistic about it. I'll update on its progress during the summer and if it ends up like pea soup you'll be the first to know

04/03/2013 at 21:17

Peat Ballan...i hope my frogs are as cultured as yours

04/03/2013 at 21:35
marshmello wrote (see)

Hope that pond is in full shade, otherwise it's gonna looker greener than pea soup and hotter than a boiling kettle in the summer.

Nope, this is what I actually said. I'll re-write " HOPE that pond is in full shade, OTHERWISE it's gonna looker greener than pea soup."  The keys words were more than constructive IMO.  No where in my post did I write " it will end up like pea soup"

If, it does "end up like pea green soup" ( your words ) which btw most ponds do. You'll already know how to fix the problem. Therefore you'll have no reason to post such a problem. 

Cheers.

04/03/2013 at 23:18

Peeps ! Let's be peaceful with each other ! Like , Man, woss wiv all these negative vibes ? Y'know wot Oim sayin'? Like man, it's a bummer to fall out over a bit of pond weed !  Come round an' meet mah frogs, dontchya know ?  Four frogs is eight eyes, like, wowwwww !  heavy heavy heavy !

The big frog says, Bon Soir, ma petites !

Au revoir, like.

04/03/2013 at 23:50

Whey aye man. 

05/03/2013 at 16:16

Petite pois to ye too, ma bonny Lass !

05/03/2013 at 16:21

AND   AND     AND        !          WE'VE JUST COUNTED A TOTAL OF ,  WAIT FOR IT .. . . . . .  . . 10 PAIRS OF FROGGIES,  having a pyjama party with no pyjamas on ! THEY ARE GIVING IT FULL ATTENTION !    WOW !   WHAT ENERGY !

This means that we'll have to build an extension for them as there's not enuff room in the pond for all their cavorting !  I wonder if they either know or care, even, who is missus or Mr. froggy when they awooing go !

05/03/2013 at 16:24

Come to think of it, we have a washing up bowl in the front 'garden', and even this  little pool has a res pop of 4 froglettes. So, nil desperandum. My good Missus can even call them up at the lotty ! She has a chesty cold and can sound just like them !

Ribbet             ribbet           ribbet !

08/03/2013 at 16:58

Enjoy your pond Erica 938, I'm sure you will get lots to interest you from it.

I was looking at a pond mud cleaner. This vacum fits on the end of a hose and works without destroying wildlife. Has anyone tried this? Thankyou for your replies

08/03/2013 at 17:07

Personally, I would think that a 'pond mud cleaner' is just another 'gimmick'. The garden centres are filled with gimmicks these days. Just another method of extracting money from us gardeners  who want to be gardeners and not accumulate a shed full of gizmo's. Things like this, look attractive and indespensible, but check your kitchen and see how many things you have that you seldom use. A kitchen is just a parallel extension of your garden. By the way, does anybody want a Fiskar weeder ? I have a few hoes, back saving spades, hose attachments galore, diaries from years back, never used, cost a bloody fortune but but but but, they look good !!!!!!  Think tho', how much do you REALLY NEED a garlic crusher ??????? A smack with a brad bladed knife with the back of the hand is good enough, so WHY does one have to have a MUD CLEANER ???   Give me strength !

08/03/2013 at 17:38

Don't see how the sellers can say that a 'mud cleaner' doesn't destroy wildlife. The frogs etc may survive unharmed but by far the greatest proportion of pond life is the beasties in the mud. If they get tidily hoovered away what are the bigger creatures going to eat?

Peat, I like my garlic crusher

08/03/2013 at 17:40

Airwaves, my OH used a so-called wet and dry vacuum cleaner. He had to add an extension pipe to the hose as our pond is quite deep and had to empty the container quite often, but it worked fine. Any underwater creepy crawlies were fished out of the sludge and returned to pond. If you don't have one, maybe friend or neighbour does who would let you borrow it.

08/03/2013 at 18:25

We can start a new thread about Garlic Crushers !

Flo Bear, I don't dare to be hinting however smally, but I am just about crowded out with things I do not use, but bought on the spur of the moment. In fact, I have some spurs to give away, if anybody's interested.  If you get on with your crusher, on yersel' as they say in Glasgae, but a good whack is as good as anything, and voila ! No cleaning out of smally holes either !  I  LURVE garlic, me !

21 to 40 of 66 messages