London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 66 messages
19/02/2013 at 16:41

I need some help, i have been considering a wildlife pond for several years but never had the guts until now. There is a area in my garden which i don't like very much so i have decided that's where my pond will go. Its under a tree it does get a little sun, i have posted pictures..please can you let me know if the location is ideal and if not are there any suggestions on what i could do with this area.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18786.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

19/02/2013 at 19:06

Well,I would not of put it by a tree because come autumn the leaves go in the pond and stagnates the water unless you put a net over it.It must not have to much sun or a good filter is some times good but I do not use one.Make sure you leave a lip for frogs and toads to be able to climb out and plant oxygenating plants and marginal plants but not to many and with water lilies buy a small leaved one as a bigger variety will take over the pond .Do not have fish if you wish to have wild life in your pond.

19/02/2013 at 19:27

A small wildlife pond was put in here a couple of years ago, I placed it in exactly the wrong the place, under 2 mature beech trees and the leaves are a bit of menance, I either net it or scoop them out. I'm not too fussy so at times it looks more like a natural ditch. I have seen toads in there, which I'm very pleased about.

Yes a sloping edge or place rocks/stones so that any animals can find their way out. I've got some marginal grass like plants but haven't bothered with any others as the surface area of mine is very small.

19/02/2013 at 20:11

a sunny site will give you more chance of dragonflies etc laying their eggs in your pond. Insects like sun and warmth

20/02/2013 at 08:16

I don't think you should worry too much about leaves. Leaves blow around, so even if you put the pond to one side, leaves will still collect in it.

But you do need to be aware of how far the tree roots extend. It would be unwise to try to dig a hole if there are tree roots just beneath the surface.

20/02/2013 at 22:47

to me it looks as ideal a spot as any.

yes maybe there is a tree near by, but theres not many ponds completely free of over hanging or nearby trees.

you have the added advantage of a hedging back drop, which will provide cover and habitats for many wild species, and also the side of your shed/garage which will have many cracks, crevices and holes for newts etc to hide within.

afew leaves in autumn will rot down and form a nice loamy layer on the bottom for the pond for plant life to root into, and anchor itself, which is a real plus point.

your water quality should be just fine, an fairly even mix for sunlight and shade will keep the water clean, clear, oxygenated, and perfect for allsorts of wildlife.

i'd be inclined to incorporated abit of rockery or dry gravel areas submerging into the water to enable frogs/toads/newts etc access into and out of the water, and not forgetting an easy way out for the unfortunate mr hedgehog who falls in whilst on his travels under the cover of darkness.

you may also consider running some wild meadow turf just to the the waters edge, giving both a natural look and sloping sides.

hopefully thats given you some help and suggestions

23/02/2013 at 15:36

Be sure to allow enough room all the way around the edge for you to walk safely. Leaves are a nightmare in a small pond as when they rot they create gases which can kill the pond life. A pond needs some sunlight during the day to create a balanced water. No matter how small the pond, try to make it at least 2' deep to allow things to hibernate over the winter without being frozen into the water and killed.

Put underwater oxygenating plants in at least two weeks before  adding fish. It is possible to buy minnows etc. if you do not want fancy goldfish etc. I have made 3 ponds and have always put a bottom feeder fish such as a greentench in, you never see it again but they do help to keep the pond clear.

23/02/2013 at 16:20
Thank you everyone for all your advice
24/02/2013 at 14:34

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18974.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

Well after a hard days graft i now have a small wildlife pond, im just waiting for a couple of weeks before i place any plants in the pond. Thanks everyone for your advice i just hope the weather warms up a little so i can sit out and watch the wildlife that will hopfully visit.  

24/02/2013 at 14:53

Looking good Erica. I had toads appear in mine no idea where they came from

24/02/2013 at 15:51
Thanks Hollie
24/02/2013 at 21:14

well done, thats fab, did you install a prefabricated pond, or have you lined the space with pond liner? i ask this as i am going to have a pond

24/02/2013 at 23:40
It's a preformed one called burmuda cove it cost me ??20 from my local centre cheaper than the online sites. There are larger ones, good luck with your pond
28/02/2013 at 20:21

Hope that pond is in full shade, otherwise it's gonna looker greener than pea soup and hotter than a boiling kettle in the summer.

28/02/2013 at 20:38
Why do you say that? It's mainly in the shade it does get some sunlight but not much.
28/02/2013 at 20:53

It's surprising how hot the sun is, even my ponds although a lot bigger than yours heat up rapidly and can get quite hot; even though I have shaded more than half the waters surface. Then problems with green water start.

I'd also net that in late summer otherwise your water will turn black with the rotting leaves in the bottom.

28/02/2013 at 20:58

If I'm honest, I don't think that's meant to be used as a pond - it's far too small. Looks more like a cascade system for a waterfall.

28/02/2013 at 23:24
04/03/2013 at 03:37
We are intending to create a water feature in our back garden. The area is a gradual slope. We want a pond at the top with a small "stream" leading to a larger pond at the bottom of the garden where we will put a frog box. The intention being to attract frogs and toads. The rent for the box will be minimal so we should get plenty of tenants!
04/03/2013 at 07:39

marshmello, why are you trying to put Erica off her pond? She's had lots of good advice (if you read the earlier posts) and I'm sure her pond will be ok. We have the same and have had few problems.

1 to 20 of 66 messages