Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

So pleased

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• Sue & MuttonSue & Mutton Posts: 125

Since we started putting down meelworms for the blackbirds we've had a steady trickle of them coming on to the patio. Last night there were 3 happily munching away by 8.30 all at the same time.  Makes out day too ...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
  • HippynessHippyness Posts: 21

Hey all ..... we too have seen 2 recently since moving into our new house in October - my husband is now having to be super careful when moving the woodland 'meadow length' grass!!  The one we saw last night was a whopper!  What are the best feeds / food to leave out for them?  I have to be careful as my garden is also used a toilet by my neighbours 8!! cats and I don't want to attract them anymore than they are already!  Does anyone use a hedgehog house etc??? Cheers for any advice!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

'Our' hedgehogs love Spike's Semi moist hedgehog food - available from garden centres and online.  They don't like the totally dried version.  They also like sunflower hearts, dried mealworms, chopped peanuts and banana chips.  They also need a shallow bowl of fresh water - ours drink a lot of water each night.

We have a wooden hedgehog house and some winters it is used, but they seem just as happy to use upturned orange boxes under a pile of garden rubbish image

If cats are getting the hedgehog food you can make a feeding station inside a plastic box as shown here http://www.wildlifegardenproject.com/videos/how-to-videos/174-how-to-help-hedgehogs-in-your-garden

Lots of helpful information here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Please make sure that any cat food you leave out is meat based and not fish based.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,658

Hi hollie hock, good to 'see' you image

I saw a hedgehog in our garden a few weeks ago, first i've seen for a few years. I do leave water out for him/her, but not actually seen the hedgehog for awhileimage

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

We haven't had any for years. Now we see between one and five a night. They're loving Spike, raisins sunflower hearts and mealworms (which I find are a lot cheaper in Home Bargains). They do spend a lot of time at the water dish. We have a length of clay pipe into which I put some Spike. Hogs can get in and out easily but the food is well out of reach of any cats.