London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
6 messages
25/04/2014 at 16:29

Was a little horrified to hear on the Jeremy Vine show this week that there is still the annual massacre in Malta of birds returning to us from Africa.

You would think that in this day and age that the laws for grown men in their hundreds aiming shotguns to take down these beautiful creatures would be banned!! Sorry to rant but was really annoyed that this is still being practised - we are being warned all the time our birds are getting less you would think that the WWF would take this as a fresh and urgent challenge...... Sorry to rant

25/04/2014 at 16:33

Did not hear this, but how awful. Just can't believe this practice goes on. The world is a strange and sometimes really sad place 

25/04/2014 at 17:00

Very sad the BBC link below from the 22nd says that Chris Packham is currently over there hopefully he will give more of an stage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27108910

25/04/2014 at 17:14

It's a small island. I think they could catch the criminals if the will was there.

25/04/2014 at 17:38

It is such a regular thing.............I can remember the furore about Maltese hunters ( well, hardly hunters are they ?......the poor birds come to them so no skill involved ) way back in the early 80's...........comes up every year.............I expect it will hit the news for a week or two every year until the EU gets a***e in gear and disallows Malta the spurious claim of "tradition"........similar to Japan knocking off whales for "scientific " purposes...........there is always a get out if one searches hard enough 

25/04/2014 at 21:03

Looked at links. I just can't fathom it out. how could people do such things?  I love all the garden birds and quite happily forgive them waking me up at 4.30 each day 

email image
6 messages